Hi=20

I would agree with Barbara 100% on this one.

> This book is by an Australian, Bob Graham, and was released here under =
the
> title of Let's Get a Pup.  In 2002, it won the highly coveted =
Children's
> Book Council of Australia's Book of the Year Award for Early =
Childhood. It
> must be in nearly every pre-school, primary and public library in =
Australia!
> Have never heard of any objections to it.  Am going to share this =
thread
> with my local colleagues - they will get a great laugh - and also with =
Bob
> himself!

When I first saw this I couldn't believe that it was the same book. I =
thought that there must have been another book with a similar theme.  It =
seems incredible to me that anyone could read any inappropriate =
connotations into such an exuberant, fun, warm, and humourous children's =
picture book.  To my mind, and I'm sure to many other teacher-librarians =
in Australia, the idea of it being banned and/or withdrawn from a book =
fair is nothing short of amazing.

It was also in the top ten books of the KOALA awards for 2003.  KOALA is =
the state of New South Wales children's choice award. [Kid's Own =
Australian Literature Awards]. These are awards that the children =
themselves vote for.

I have used this book with many young children, and it is just =
beautiful.  Bob Graham's writing and illustrations are just great.  They =
show what a real family is like, not some manufactured stereotype.

Think of the positive messages it sends, about choosing to resue a dog =
from an animal shelter.   =20

As for the jumping into bed bit, which I understand is what the =
objection is, what parents haven't been "assaulted" by their young =
child/ren jumping into bed with them early in the morning and wanting to =
do something "now"?

JMHO
Sue

Sue Venables