Carol wrote:  "When books are segregated into
'special' shelving because of their controversial
subject matter, it draws attention to children who go
there to browse."

Which was exactly the issue which started this thread:
 an effort to segregate reading materials due to
controversial subject matter.  Only the subject matter
in that case was evolution, rather than sexuality.  Is
there anyone who would advocate for that type of
labeling?  I sure as heck wouldn't!  And I would fight
it tooth and nail in my own library (WHEN I get one
:-)).

Recently while shelving books at the middle school
where I am interning, I found one book pushed behind
the others.  While this is not unusual -- I find them
every day like this -- this particular book was on
teen pregnancy and it was far from the section where
it belonged.  It would seem that someone was trying to
read this book surreptitiously while appearing to be
browsing an entirely different topic.  What if all the
books that dealt with pregnancy were labeled in some
way in this middle school media center?  And perhaps
placed in an area near the circulation desk so the LMS
could monitor "those" books.  You know, the s-e-x
books.  Would this person have gotten the information
s/he needed?  Probably not.

As for labeling with AR points, it is not done in the
library where I am interning.  But the AR books do
have a gold star on the spine.

"where students are only allowed to read in their ZPD"

Oooo.  Another topic entirely.  Don't even get me
started on how practices like this can turn kids OFF
of reading.  Then I morph from a MLS student into the
mother of a 10 year old boy identified as AG in
reading who used to be an avid reader but now cannot
be coerced into reading.

Christine -
Color me clueless, but what does "leveling our
library" mean?

=====
Jodi Freeze
MLS Student