This is a re-post of a message I sent to LM_NET just before the
holidays. I appreciate those who responded. Since not too many did
respond, I thought perhaps some had turned off their LM_NET mail for the
holidays, so I am re-sending it in hopes of getting some more input
before I depart early Friday morning for Midwinter. In particular, I'd
like to know if you use AC (juvenile) subject headings in your library.
Please see below.

=20

--Marilyn McCroskey

=20

=20

Colleagues:

=20

I am the AASL Liaison to the Cataloging-in-Publication (CIP) Advisory
Group sponsored by the Library of Congress. This group meets twice a
year at ALA conferences.

I am forwarding information (below) from John Celli, Chief of the CIP
Division at LC, about the meeting at Midwinter in San Diego. There is an
issue on the agenda that will affect juvenile cataloging, and I wanted
to make you aware of it and invite comments. Send these to me at
mam417f@smsu.edu.

=20

Here is a summary of the issue under discussion:

=20

The LC CIP Division processes a great many juvenile titles each year,
along with adult titles. LC provides a total of almost 60,000 CIP blocks
to publishers each year to print in their books for libraries to use.
The Cataloging-in-Publication information helps school catalogers (as
well as others) by providing a basis for the local cataloging record,
even though the CIP is based on pre-publication galley proofs and must
be checked carefully for accuracy (since publishers do make last-minute
changes, even to the title). The LC CIP Division strives for a 2-week
turnaround time from the time the publisher's pre-publication
information on a book is received and the time LC sends the CIP block to
the publisher to print on the title page verso. Speed is vital to meet
publishers' publication deadlines.=20

=20

Suffering the same budget shortages as the rest of us, the LC CIP
Division must now consider ways to speed up its processing of CIP for
juvenile titles, in order to get the CIP cataloging records to
publishers in time to meet deadlines. Delays mean that books might go to
press without CIP. Thus, LC must consider cutbacks to speed up the
processing of juvenile CIP. One cutback has already been implemented. In
October, LC stopped doing summaries for non-fiction juvenile titles. Now
another cutback must be considered to address the juvenile CIP backlog,
and will be discussed at the Jan. 10 CIP Advisory Group meeting at
Midwinter: suspension of juvenile subject headings (in brackets on the
CIP block). Juvenile CIP records would continue to include "adult"
Library of Congress Subject Headings (LCSH). I am aware that many
schools now use LCSH because vendors of their purchased MARC records
provide LCSH and not Sears subject headings. Sears libraries have to
convert the LC CIP subject headings to Sears, whether these are the
juvenile LC headings or "adult" LCSH. I am interested in hearing your
thoughts on suspension of LC juvenile subject headings.

=20

If you are planning to attend Midwinter, the CIP Advisory Group meeting
is described below, and we would welcome your attendance. Also, if you
are interested in attending the meeting of the committee that discusses
cataloging children's materials, let me know and I will provide that
meeting information. I am not a member of that committee, but I always
try to attend its meetings.

=20

Thank you for your input! See message from LC below.

=20

Marilyn McCroskey

Professor of Library Science

Head of Cataloging, Meyer Library

Southwest Missouri State University

901 S. National

Springfield, MO 65804

Ph. 417-836-4541

Fax 417-836-4764

mam417f@smsu.edu

=20

=20

Message from John Celli, Chief of the LC CIP Division:

=20

Subject: Cataloging-In-Publication meeting at ALA Midwinter

=20

The CIP Advisory Group will meet at ALA Midwinter in San Diego,

Saturday, January 10th,   9:30 to 11:30 AM at the Manchester Grand

Hyatt, America's Cup C/D

=20

The CIP Advisory Group consists of representatives from the various
library communities (school libraries, public libraries, academic
libraries, special libraries) and as well book vendors and others who
help shape CIP policy.

=20

The agenda includes updates and discussion of the
Cataloging-In-Publication program, the ECIP program, and a new program
currently under development, the New Books Program.

=20

CIP staff will report out and invite comments on the current status of
the specifications developed to date for various modules of the New
Books program including the Library of Congress Partnership program
module, the New Books public access module, and the New Books publisher
module.

=20

*Two other important issues include the juvenile literature backlog and
suspension of juvenile treatment for non-fiction juvenile titles and a
reexamination of the scope statement that currently excludes all travel
guides but which may be amended to include "specialized" travel guides.*

=20

This is an open meeting and we encourage the participation of all
interested librarians and publishers.  We need your input to help build
the New Books Program and resolve important issues that affect the
availability of CIP data that so many libraries depend upon.

=20