I realize that the original question was asked to convince a principal
whether it would be better to purchase encyclopedias in print or to purchase
the online version.

I wanted to add to the conversation that I just purchased a new set of World
Book encyclopedias 2004-- AND purchased the online (off-campus)
accessibility at half price--it was a "buy the print, get the online at half
price" sale.  The total amount for my purchase?  Around $800.  Check with
your representative to get a price for your district because it depends upon
the number of users when it comes to the online version.  My cost was based
upon our school which is small compared to some districts, I know.  However,
if several of you need print and some of you need the online, there may be a
way to "share" the expenses---my elementary librarian bought her print
encyclopedia now and I bought the online version now...I will receive my
print copy in the fall but we will each have the access to the online
version now because we "shared" the expenses (I paid for the online version
now and she paid for the print now.)

My choice in choosing both was that it will give my print-lovers immediate
access to the books while it will give my online lovers the accessibility
that they wanted both at school and at home (most of them love the "at home"
access now!)  My high school students want /need online usage and the
elementary librarian's students want /need the print usage, so we got the
best of both immediately.

I felt that the print was still needed even at my level to show the students
how to locate the materials using "guide words" at the top of the page and
then allow them to perform the same search online with the encyclopedia.
(Even having races against different groups of kids using subjects is fun
and shows them how one medium is easier or more difficult depending upon the
user or the question being posed.)

This is something you might think about and if you're one of several
libraries in the district and you often share online resource expenses, then
perhaps you can also share the expenses of the encyclopedias.  World Book is
having a great sale now...ask your representative.  We received our books in
about a week and the online access took only two business days!

Just an idea.

~Shonda Brisco
Trinity Valley MS / US Librarian
Fort Worth, TX