I just stopped at a Wal-Mart two days ago and saw the machines.  There were
two at the center I was in and each provided the customer with the
opportunity to print from disks or CD's (or scanning a photograph to make
copies).

I did scan a photograph to make an additional copy but wasn't happy about
the quality of the scan (the glass platen was dirty and there were visible
marks on the finished product); however, that's what you get with scanning.

Overall, the paper quality was good and I believe that with a digital format
(CD or disk), you should have some decent photographs.  I liked the ability
to do everything myself and will probably have some of my digital photos
printed there soon--now that I'm familiar with the machine.

As a side-note, I also noticed that with the machines there was a "copyright
release" that you must agree to when you scan photographs (I'm not sure if
that would apply to the disk materials, however, with the options available
to individuals to download photographs from the Internet, I would think that
if you had any digital media from other sources, i.e., Internet websites,
one would still have to comply).  The interesting thing was that once the
photographs were printed, the lab-techs wanted to inspect my original photo
to see if there were copyright violations---was it a professional photo or
my own work?  (It was mine but I know that professional studies now have
"copyright" paper that provides the consumer with the information that any
additional copies made are a violation of copyright --or at least my kids'
school photos are printed on that type of paper.)   I was dying to ask some
serious legal scenarios (but didn't because the girl was about 19 and
probably wouldn't have been able to give me any legal
answers) ---specifically, I wanted to know how Wal-Mart could determine if
materials from disks or CDs were "original" works taken from other
sources--obviously they could probably tell for most.  But I DID ask her
what would happen if someone PRINTED materials from a copyrighted
photograph.  She told me that they would not release the copies to the
customer for purchase (since they also put them in a large envelope for you
when you check out).  She told me that they destroyed any copies made that
they determined to be in violation of copyright laws.

Although I understand copyright laws in this regard (i.e, previous Kinko's
lawsuits, etc.), I wonder how many violations occur with the use of CDs and
disks (or even scanners) AND what legal rights Wal-Mart photo techs have to
second-guess the customer by taking the photographs away from them (because
the customer basically signs the agreement when they use the machines that
they understand the copyright law)?  To me the situation was "eerily"
similar to a copy machine in the library---if we provide the machines,
paper, ink, and then allow someone to pay for their personal copy, but
someone violates the law, libraries are not held liable for the violation if
they have provided the patron with the copyright laws (signage) at the
machines.  I have NEVER taken copies away from individuals at the copy
machine because I suspected they were violating copyrights (although I have
also not stood around watching everything that was copied by the patrons).
Instead, I preach about copyright and share the signage (which they
shrug-off).

If I am doing the physical labor (at Wal-Mart), using my materials--prints,
digital media, etc.-- and paying Wal-Mart for the use of the equipment,
paper, ink, etc.,  isn't this the same as using a copy machine in the
library? (---the only difference at Wal-Mart is the exchange of legal tender
AFTER the printing has taken place, rather than paying BEFORE making a copy
as you might with a copy machine in a library.)   In addition, since I must
physically sign a document (using the photo machine) stating that I
understand copyright (something that is NOT done in libraries), then am I
not relinquishing Wal-Mart from any legal actions because of my
inappropriate use of their machine?  Should we, then, inspect patrons'
materials to determine if they have broken copyright AND if so, return their
money as we destroy the copyrighted documents?

I just thought I'd throw that out (as a "summer thought-provoker")....it
seems that Wal-Mart is using inexperienced individuals in their photo labs
to determine what copyright laws are being violated and yet, we (as trained
professionals) don't do THAT much when we provide the use of copy machines
in our libraries?

Your thoughts, ideas and insights would be interesting to hear.

~Shonda Brisco
Trinity Valley MS / US Librarian
Fort Worth, TX
sbrisco021@charter.net