Margaret:

You will have to be especially vigilant....these are big ticket items, and
they can be easily smuggled out in a backpack or even a large purse or gym
bag.  I would suggest several things:

1.  "Ugly up" the laptops...make them VERY obviously the library's.  Mark
ALL OVER them.  If it is possible (many laptop models have a security hole
for a cable) attach a cable with a large tag or metal bar with LIBRARY on
it.  It makes them cumbersome and less desirable.

2.  Absolutely forbid patrons from bringing bags, backpacks, etc. in to the
library except for the smallest purses....ALL must be left at the front
counter.  Otherwise, you must check each bag upon exit, and you are alone,
and will be unable to do this.

3.  If you have an alarm system, security tag each laptop in multiple
places.  Inside the battery bay, inside the extra memory compartment, and
one very visible place outside.

4.  Any patron checkout is done on a special form that has a user contract
as an integral part of the form...their signature on the form indicates
their acceptance of responsibility for the computer.  You will also have to
have a similar contract in any registration materials for the parent to
sign.  No parent form, no student checkout.

All of this is a massive pain, but these days one cannot be too
careful.  Lawyers excel at nit-picking, and we actually had a parent
triumphantly "prove" in court that it was ok for their kid to take a laptop
home (out of a classroom) for personal use over a vacation because there
was no signed form in place specifically forbidding such an activity!  Of
course, there is now.  Live and learn.

Good luck!  Laptops are nifty tools..I love mine.

At 12:08 PM 7/31/2004 +0000, you wrote:
>Hi,
>   I'll be getting 10 laptops for use in my library.  I am a one-person
>library ( grades 5-12) and can use some ideas on how to keep an eye on these
>wireless laptops.  They will be intrent accessible and for now, will now be
>allowed to leave the room.
>Does anyone have any words of advice to help me?  I am getting a lockable
>cabinet with outlets for recharging.
>
>TIA
>Margaret Bedle
>Librarian
>Caravel Academy
>Bear DE

>All LM_NET postings are protected by copyright law.
>To change your LM_NET status, e-mail to: listserv@listserv.syr.edu
>In the message write EITHER: 1) SIGNOFF LM_NET  2) SET LM_NET NOMAIL
>3) SET LM_NET MAIL  4) SET LM_NET DIGEST  * Allow for confirmation.
>LM_NET Help & Information: http://www.eduref.org/lm_net/
>Archive: http://www.eduref.org/lm_net/archive/
>EL-Announce with LM_NET Select: http://elann.biglist.com/el-announce/
>LM_NET Supporters: http://www.eduref.org/lm_net/ven.html

Mark Williams
Retired Librarian/Library Consultant
markwilliams@makaw.net
"The closest thing you will find to an orderly universe is a good library"