William Williams
Media Coordinator
Clayton Middle

Thanks as always to the great response.  I have listed the hits and wanted
to get the information out as soon as possible.  It seems many schools are
going through the same process.  My county technicians were skeptical of the
Renaissance Company claim that the AR data could be accessed by both
platforms and not become corrupt.  By the response, I see that it can.

HITS:

1

If you are running on a Novell network you should have no difficulty
accessing your tests. We went from Macs to PCs :( several years ago and
actually were running both kinds of machines from the same server for at
least a year with no problems.  You will just have to reestablish a link to
the new server once you load the program on to each of your computers.    If
you have a service agreement with Renaissance Learning and you do encounter
any difficulties, they will send you downloads for any tests which you have
purchased.  That was my biggest problem - having only MAC discs for the
first 3000 tests we purchased, and having one or more mysteriously disappear
from time to time.

2

Yes...we converted a few years ago. The company was very helpful in the
process. Our tests (ALS data)  were already on a Novell server so the only
real changes we had to make were in loading the Windows AR on each
workstation. I think they charged something for the Windows version, but the

tests are all accessible from either platform...we still have many Macs.
Works fine.

3

We switched from Mac to PC about 5 years ago. There is a way to convert your

Mac test disks to PC. I don't remember what it is, but I'm sure someone at
Advantage Learning could help you. I did the conversion myself and there was

no charge.

I don't know what you would do if you only have the tests stored on the
server and don't have the original test disks. But again, anytime I've had
questions or problems, the folks at Advantage Learning have been very
helpful.

Just a thought--I'm sure you have proof that you own the tests you want to
convert--and that Advantage Learning knows that, too. If you don't have
disks, maybe you could arrange to download the PC tests you own from their
website,

4

Our AR installer (circa 9/03) is both Mac and Win. We just got a new
(actually donated Dells circa 2001) PC lab and our technician used this CD
to put AR on the new lab. I can manage AR from either Macs or PCs. It is
going onto a Novell server either way. So far I have not yet installed from
the PC lab but I imagine that it will not be a problem. I am going to stay
with Mac tests just for consistency as our building is still half Mac. I
would call Renaissance Learning with specific questions.