Thank you all for your help with my questions about starting a new high
school library program at a high school.  Since accepting my new job I
have become completely overwhelmed by what I am about to face.  The
support from people on this list has been amazing.

Here are my original questions:
1) Has anyone ever started a new library program?  What general advice
do you have?  I am looking for things like, "Don't make this
mistake", "The first thing you need to do is X", etc.

2) I need to automate this library.  Does anyone have any
recommendations about automation programs, the best way to approach the
process, etc.?  I will not have an assistant, so ease of use is key.  I
will also only have about 6 weeks from when I start to when school
starts.  I'd like to have the system in place at the start of school,
so this is another factor.

Many of the emails I received were very long.  As such, I have
summarized the suggestions for automation and starting a new program.

Automation:
- Weed, weed, weed.  Everyone mentioned the need to weed before
automating.
Most automation systems charge per shelf card, so it doesn’t make sense
to pay for books that will be weeded.  Moreover, it is a good way to
get to know the collection.
- Suggestions of systems included: Sagebrush (Athena, Accent, or
Spectrum) www.sagebrushcorp.com, Follett, and Alexandria (Companion)
www.goalexandria.com.

New program:
-       Monthly newsletters to faculty to introduce yourself and what
you can offer.  It could also include reading lists.
-       Try to talk to teachers one-on-one, where possible, and let
them know how the library can help them specifically.
-       Speak to Department Chairs to find out specific needs of
departments.
-       “Do everything to get the teachers on your side.”
-       Establish a Library Aide club for students.
-       Have English teachers bring students in for orientation.
-       Have an open door so teachers know that you are open to
suggestions.
-       Have a book drive or offer a way for parents to donate books in
their child’s name.
-       Take advantage of Teen Read Week in October.

All of these are great suggestions and I look forward to trying them
out.  Thanks again for your help and support.  It's good to know I can
turn to this wonderful resource when I need help.

Megan Frazer
Librarian
Commonwealth School
Boston, MA