It occurs to me that we need not only to think about teachers -- but
in schools where there is flexible access to the library one needs to
be concerned about the child or small group who decide to come to the
library for the incidental book check out, research, pressing
question,  etc and goes into the "open" library and is actually there
unsupervised by any adult.  I am never so worried about where the
books go (although that is a concern) as I am about the safety and
well-being of students.  I can't think that a district would be too
happy about a law suit for a injured child in a room that was left
open and unsupervised.  Now if every student ONLY comes WITH an adult
that's another story but that is not the profile I wanted for the
school library.  :>)

When on the rare day that the LMC secretary was absent or on break
and there was a technology or otherwise "emergency" -- I would ask
the requesting teacher to "find an associate or adult" to come to the
library to supervise while I was correcting the problem -- not sure
what I would do if I were only there 3 days a week for example --
perhaps give all the teachers a key to the library but keep it
locked.  I could get on my lecture about what a terrible waste of
money that actually is but won't.

Sharron

At 6:32 PM -0700 6/25/04, Cathy Rettberg wrote:
>I have to chime in on this one! At my previous job (K-4 school) I made
>a point of NOT locking the library when I was not there. I worked all
>day every day but was responsible for tech support and sometimes was
>not in the library. I left a manual signout form on the desk and
>teachers would use that to check out books.

Sharron L. McElmeel
McBookwords (a literacy organization)
http://www.mcelmeel.com/
Instructor - University of Wisconsin-Stout
http://www.uwstout.edu/soe/profdev/childrenslit

3000 N Center Point Rd
Cedar Rapids, IA 52411-9548

ph. (319) 393-2562