hello............

once again we are having the discussion of whether we have students who
-can't- read, or just have problems with remembering facts, details and
comprehension?  this is high school level.

so I'm thinking.....how do you find out if there are students who
-can't- read?  the only way I can suggest is for one or two teachers sit
down with all students and have them read something aloud.  (privately,
one on one).  we have a smaller population so it could be done.

how else do you know?  specifically, -can- they read?  and then would
there be a quick way to sort of level them?  how many words they
stumbled over?  we are planning curriculum for next year.  standardized
tests are very important and we need more students passing them.  we
want to know if we need to inservice on how to teach reading or how to
teach reading comprehension, vocabulary, etc.

ideas?

thanks..........

kate :)

--