I don't think the archives are the source of the spam. Otherwise my new
home address would have gotten much more spam. I think two factors are
at work. First, older address compilations on cdroms are being sold
faster, and, second, it is thought that spammers are using viruses,
worms or trojan horse programs to send email addresses to them from
infected computers. I have gotten virus bounces with both my name and
another lmnetter in the visible headers. Which means that another
computer is infected, has emails with both of our addresses, and the
virus may have sent them to a spam address collector.

Also, you are not going to be able to take your address out of the
headers, and a shortened set of headers is displayed on every message in
the archives. Those addresses might be able to be removed, and we could
completely mess up our sig addresses, and then much of the usefulness of
the archives would be gone. If I see something in the archives that I
want to respond to, I would like to be able to write to the person
directly. While it may be an old address and bounce, it also might not
be. I would rather have to begin searching for a useable address as a
second step, rather than as a first. I also like to use the address in
my search. Removing them from the displays would probably remove them
from the search.

Dan Robinson
HW Wilson Company
Bronx, NY