I used to do the Classics Illustrated and other adaptations separate =
from
the original version. The major problem I ran into was the kids that =
could
most benefit from having access to them were generally the kids most =
likely
to have some problem actually finding them.=20

The epiphany for me was during a visit to bookstore. Our kid (probably =
4th
grade at the time) had seen the 20,000 Leagues movie recently and wanted =
read the book. A bit put off by the thickness of the original, he was =
quite
happy to read one of the 3 or 4 shortest abridged versions right next to =
it.
Subsequent visits brought thicker versions, till a couple of years later =
he
made it through the Original.

I'm sure that an argument could be made for that shelving lending =
credence
to the adaptation's authenticity, or that kids will consider they 'read =
the
book' after reading the adaptation. But, I think it is also important =
that
the reader understands what caused Captain Nemo to develop his ship and =
make
the choices he did.=20

Robert Eiffert, Librarian
Pacific Middle School
Beiffert at egreen wednet edu
Beiffert at Comcast net

Maureen S. Irwin wrote:
I'm looking for suggestions about cataloging abridged or adapted works =
of
fiction--generally classics. Our downloaded records show the adapter as
author, giving a 700 field entry for the original author. That is OK, =
but I
really prefer to shelve them alongisde the originals, so although an =
author
may be Shmoe, the spine label says FIC DIC. The only problem I see with =
that
(being in the midst of inventory) is that the computer freaks if Joe =
Shmoe
is right alonside Charles Dickens. Of course, I can ignore the hissy =
from
the computer, but it made me wonder what other folks do.
=20

---
=20