Netters:

I was waiting to post this HIT until I got a few more
suggestions/ideas...but so far they have been great. If anymore of you
have ideas, please let me know:-) To those of you who have sent ideas,
thanks again!

 >From schools:

I have a "Chess Club" and video club after school.  The chess is in quotes
because we only play chess one week a month.  We play other strategy games
(like Magic card games, Risk and Chess Four the other times).  The video
club makes a news program once a month and brings together all types of kids
who wouldn't normally hang out.  We are at this moment making a stop motion
animation short.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
 >From Public libraries

I work at a public library in a low-income area (mostly black
population).  Our YA librarian--fairly new--is trying to establish a few
programs to address this need.  Mondays is "Homework Help," (for about 1
hour, and probably should be done in what is--for now--the computer
lab--they meet in an area designated as the "Teen Room); Tuesdays, she
has a teen book discussion group.  She also is having special programs
(held in the auditorium) at least monthly--and usually on a Saturday
afternoon or early evening-- (published author, health & fitness,
candle-making, quilt making, to name a few).  I can't give you any
numbers--not enough.  I think that the candle-making program, held
before Christmas, was the most attended.  Certainly is a huge need.

^^^^^^^^^^^^
The library in my county seat does several things with teens.  The
library is right next door to the high school.  I read about some of
their programs in my local paper, and always think it sounds like they
are doing some interesting things.  I think having a teen advisory
council is a great idea, for one thing.

Here's a link to their page:
http://www.hancockpub.lib.in.us/teen/programs/programs.htm

<NOTE: This one is fabulous>

Other:

Check online at your public library webpage.
They usually list volunteer opportunities and there could be  a "Friends of
the Library" group you could contact and this information should also be on
that page

--
Jody Newman