Hello wise and generous ones:

I am an assistant director of a college instructional media center.  We
cater to the education students that do field experiences and student
teaching in the schools in our area.  We also service local school teachers
from our town as well - (and anyone else who wanders in and needs help
:-))!  I am also a graduate student working toward my MLS.  I am working on
what my professor calls an "information needs paper", whereby we need to
come up with the 10 best sources of information for a user group that we
define and the rationale behind why we would choose those 10 sources.  The
assignment is not limited to 10 sources but he doesn't want it to be an
unruly listing of sources.  The user group I have identified are the
students that come in for our help on a regular basis to the instructional
media center here at Heidelberg College.  The most asked for help is a
generic plea for help with assignments given by the professors of finding
10 GOOD websites that have lesson plan ideas in a specific area.  One I had
just the other day was Dr. So-and-So says I need to come up with 10
websites that will give me good elementary math lesson plans for 3rd grade
level.  So...this student was doing the usual Google search, typing in
"math lesson plans" as the search words.

My goal here is to first of all fulfill my grad school assignment and get a
good grade.  But more importantly, I want to make it a real world working
tool that my media center director and I can utilize in our daily lives and
make a difference with our college students.  I want the list of not just
include websites, but directories, maybe journal articles, perhaps even
some books that will lead these students away from general Google searches
(not that Google isn't good) and toward good standards based sites that
will be general enough to find quality lesson planning ideas for a variety
of areas (math, science, language arts, etc) and differing grade levels as
well.

So...this brings me to my request...can you email me off list what you
would say are your best resources in this area.  What tools from your tool
kit do you reach for when a teacher comes to you for good lesson ideas in a
specific area and you don't already have a website that deals with that
specific area.  I have a listing that I found in the lm_net archives of
some that I am planning to include. I have also gotten some ideas form my
reference librarian colleagues here at work, and from my own searching
efforts. I will include all of these ideas along with the ideas that I
receive from you in a hit that I will compose and post to the list for
anyone else that might be interested.  My main concern is that (being the
perfectionist that I am) I don't want to miss any obvious source that may
be that GREATEST resource ever. :-)

Thanks for your assistance and I look forward to much wisdom coming my way,
Sheryl Gannon

Sheryl Gannon
Assistant Director Instructional Media Center / Acquisitions Librarian
Heidelberg College Beeghly Library
10 Greenfield Street
Tiffin, OH 44883
419-448-2185