At Bank Street College School for Children we do a picture book study
that culminates in the Irma Simonton and James H. Black Award for best
picture book of the year. Our faculty reads all the appropriate
children's books then winnows the selection down to twenty five titles.
Our third and fourth graders read and evaluate those selections then
vote for the four finalists.
I am pleased to announce that our finalists this year are

THE DOT Written and illustrated by Peter Reynolds,   Candlewick
($14.00) Vasti is stymied when asked to draw a picture but with the help
of her teacher she eventually finds her own special talent.

HOW I BECAME A PIRATE Written by Melinda Long. Illustrated by David
Shannon. Harcourt ($16.00) Arggh, matey! Jeremy Jacob joins Braid Beard
and sets sail on high seas. As a member of this rowdy, dirty crew he
learns to sing sea chanteys, and talk with his mouth full. Silly
cartoonish art with pop-eyed boy and his colorful companions with visual
jokes throughout

THE JOURNEY OF OLIVER K. WOODMAN Written by Darcy Pattison. Illustrated
by Joe Cepeda, Harcourt ($16.00)Tamika Schwartz's uncle sends a wooden
man on a cross-country adventures which are related in letters by those
he meets

TANUKA'S GIFT: A JAPANESE TALE Retold by Tim Myers. Illustrated by R.G.
Roth. Cavendish ($16.95 )A Buddhist Priest meets Tanuki, a small
raccoon-dog, and learns the true meaning of friendship in this
spectacularly illustrated, mixed-media adaptation of a traditional
Japanese folktale.

These books then go into 10 cooperating schools. Over 2,000 children
will read and discuss and vote. There will be one winner and the
remaining three books will be honor books.

To conduct your own picture book study, we have placed a few
suggestions on our website-
http://streetcat.bnkst.edu/html/procedures.html

Lisa

Lisa Von Drasek, MLIS
Children's Librarian
Bank Street College of Education
School for Children Pre-K- 8
610 West 112th St
NY  NY   10025

lisav@bnkst.edu

212 875 4452

Teaching pre-K-8
Teaching Editor/Children's Books
Best Children's Books of the Year Nick Jr.