I know Dynix and it is the circulation / cataloging system of many public
libraries.  However, just because a public library has chosen to use this
system does not mean that a school library's system is inferior.  In fact, I
know of one public library system that is using Winnabago (which, in my mind
is a school library circulation / cataloging system).  This is mixing apples
and oranges.  Obviously, the individual who is making this decision does not
understand library circ / cat software or how libraries are even managed
(big surprise).

If the reason for the move is to share resources, then the best possible
answer would be to provide the schools and public libraries with a union
catalog which allows everyone to see what each other owns while keeping (and
controlling) their own collections.  Union catalogs will allow interlibrary
loans AND allow each library to restrict the use of any materials that they
feel should be placed on reserve or perhaps in a reference-type usability
within the system. (curriculum materials, teacher resources and classroom
materials used heavily can be placed on ILL restrictions and not circulated
because of the schools' need for those resources).

This sounds like a method of outsourcing which will one day eliminate the
need for school librarians--if the public libraries are in control of the
collection, then who chooses the materials for each library?  Will the
public librarians understand and select materials based upon each school's
current curriculum, community needs, and special interests?  Most public
libraries do not select materials or provide resources in the same manner
that school libraries do.  In addition, most public librarians are not
trained in education as school librarians are--most school librarians have
teaching degrees as well as librarian degrees while most public librarians
have various speciality areas (not necessarily educational) and library
degrees.  My experience with public library service is that although these
individuals are helpful and provide resource information, they do not
understand classroom objectives, goals, special educational needs of
students, teacher curriculums, etc. unless they were also once a part of a
school system.  As many of us know, there are many political issues in
schools, as there are in public libraries, but the issues are not the
same--nor are the needs and services. (I'm not criticizing public librarians
because I know there are many on the list who do serve schools and students;
however, many school librarians are also teachers who provide students with
information literacy needs and skills that public librarians do not formally
provide.  This is a big difference in how schools and public libraries
operate and this would be missing if you continue to move in this
direction.)

I would certainly place your concerns on paper and send the information to
those persons in charge of the decision making.  Pulling the power away from
the schools and placing it with public libraries is not the best situation
for either the school or the public.  Instead, the better solution would be
to create a working environment of sharing resources while allowing autonomy
within each library.  The needs of your students should be the biggest
concern and if parents realized that public librarians would be choosing
materials for their children (and we know that public libraries have a much
"broader selection policy" than most schools), then there might be more
support to keep the school library collection separate from the public
library.

Just some thoughts...

~Shonda Brisco
Trinity Valley MS / US Librarian