This hit is very overdue.  Here is the original post:

If you know anything about 1stBooks.com or can share any ideas about
breaking into the marketas a first time author - I know he would be very
grateful for any advice could share.  This is for a teacher in my
school.

-------------
I can't tell from your note whether your colleague is writing for
children.  If he is, I have a document I sometimes share that gives
lists
of resources of where to find more info about writing and publishing
for
children..

Tell him, though, that the BIG problem with publishing with a POD
publisher
is that really, no matter what they say, you really have to do your own

marketing as you don't have a big infrastructure behind you.  I don't
know
anything about 1stBooks.

If he is writing for adults, the common wisdom is the first step is to
get
an agent.

---------------

Have your friend take a look at the Publisher's Directory
(Gale Group is the publisher).  The public library or a
local college or university library should have a copy.
The PD "contains contact and descriptive information on
over 19,400 publishers and distributors."  However the PD
(at least the 21st edition) does not include "vanity
presses."  Amazon has a link to GOM publishing site that
talks about self publishing.  There are probably other
websites that cover this topic.

http://www.gompublishing.com/authorrelations_selfpublishing
.html

I hope this is helpful.

---------------

I personally feel that an author should never pay to have his work
published.
I would suggest that he get some publishing credits by submitting short

stories, essays, etc. to magazines, even those that pay little or
nothing.  He
should also attend conferences and workshops where he can meet other
writers,
agents and editors.

I wish your friend the best of luck with the novel.

---------------

My father wrote an autobiography and published it with 1stbooks last
year.
He has been happy with the company, I think. If you would like to
contact
him and ask questions he can be reached at   xxxxxxx (contact info
removed by me)

(The title of the book is Saga by Hubert Ward if you would like to look
it
up.)

-------------

I can't speak for the reputation of 1st Books from an author's point
of
view but I have read books published by 1st Books that were excellent
books.  They were part of a contest I help judge each year so the
publisher obviously entered them in the contest.  Good luck!

-------------

Jacquie, have your teacher pick up the latest issue of The Writer
magazine.  There are ads but also articles and hints about e publishing.
 If you have a local Barnes & Noble, check to see if they are affiliated
with an e publisher.  At one time, they had a subsidiary or worked with
an e publisher.

-------------
I have an English/journalism teacher and her daughters who will be
publishing with 1stbooks.com and they seem happy with the terms.  One
of
her daughters did research on the company and was pleased with what she

found.
Their book will be out in March so they don't have any feed-back yet.
We're all anxious to see what happens with the promotions of the book.

-------------

Tell him to try this book:
2004 Children's Writer's & Illustrator's Market
published by Writer's Digest
This gives info about the ins and outs of preparing manuscripts,
finding
agents, locating markets for one's work, etc.  There are several other

references available if you search for "writing for children" on
Amazon.  I
own an earlier version of this book, and it is very good.  I am a
little
skeptical of the self publishing houses.

Jacquie

"The Librarian, whose job is to heal ignorance, to keep life safe for
poetry and to put knowledge smack dab in the middle of the American
way."

From The Philadelphia Inquirer, 9-20-03
Jacquie Henry, MLS
Ruben A. Cirillo High School (GHS)