Dear LM_Netters,
=20
I would really appreciate any recommendations you could give me for =
magazines that are both suitable for grades 6-9, as well as not too =
terribly difficult language wise, as practically all our students are =
non-native English speakers. At this point, I don't have any magazine =
subscriptions yet (very tight budget!), but my principal came in today =
and wanted me to subscribe to about four "comic magazines" for the =
school library. We talked a bit about it, and I suggested something like =
Sports Illustrated for Kids and something else not necessarily comics, =
but still interesting to the kids and less daunting than a novel in =
English, and that is fine with him. However, since I am in Sweden and I =
can't just pop down to the newsstand to check out these magazines, it is =
hard for me to decide what would be appropriate, and which ones would be =
my "best buys"... After browsing the archives I am considering "Sports =
Illustrated for Kids" and "Girls' Life" for two out of four =
subscriptions. Any comments on those would be appreciated, but =
especially also further suggestions for other magazines, out of which at =
least one should be comics, according to my principal. What would you =
suggest - he mentioned Spiderman for instance, but maybe you have other =
suggestions - not everyone's a Spiderman fan... Also, I'd like one of =
them to be a more educational magazine, or a news magazine or such, but =
Time for kids seems young for my audience, and regular Time or Newsweek =
is too difficult, same with National Geographic World and regular =
National Geographic. What say you??
=20
Many thanks in advance,
=20