I just discovered that if you accidently hit certain keys while you are
typing - the message gets sent out accidently.  Sorry - here is the
WHOLE message this time!!

We are a MUCH smaller school - but I think our method might still work
for you.  It will seem like a lot of paperwork - but using forms will
help you, and ultimately it will get the message across and reduce your
work load and improve the atmosphere.

We have 5 very clear rules:
1.  Students must be researching/reading/doing homework the majority
of the time
2.  Students must use quiet voices
3.  Students may not "table-hop" or talk across tables
4.  Students must have a pass to enter or to exit
5.  Disruptive/dangerous/insubordinate behavior is not allowed

We share those rules at 9th grade orientation and with new students as
they enter.

Students who break the rules are generally not given a warning.  We
feel that if we have shared the rules, it is the students'
responsibility to remember them.  Rule breakers are sent out IMMEDIATELY
- no ifs, ands, or buts.  They get 10 school days out of the library.
We use a form to write in the student's name and we write down the rule
# they break + a few brief notes if necessary.  Then we put the form
into a binder.  If the student returns to full library priveleges and
breaks one of the 5 rules again, he/she gets another 10 school days out
+ a letter is sent home.  I have a form letter that I use.  I can then
just add anything specific to the student into the form letter.  We do
the same thing for a 3rd time out - but this time the student gets 20
days out.  A 4th infraction results in another time out and an office
referral.  When we started this, we had many students who got through
all 4 steps.  Now, I have not had anyone for about 3 years who had
reached even step 3.

HERE IS THE BIG THING TO REMEMBER.  Do NOT feel that you are being
"mean" or that you will end up alienating students.  If you are pleasant
but firm and consistent about this, I guarantee you will look up one day
and realize that you have a whole new clientele.  You will have many of
the same students who have now magically changed their behaviors.  You
will also have a large number of students that you used to never see.
They are the ones that were afraid to come because the disruptive
students had taken ownership of the library.  You will be SO glad to see
those students back in your library again.

Good luck with this!

Jacquie

"The Librarian, whose job is to heal ignorance, to keep life safe for
poetry and to put knowledge smack dab in the middle of the American
way."

From The Philadelphia Inquirer, 9-20-03
Jacquie Henry, MLS
Ruben A. Cirillo High School (GHS)