My dad, a New Zealander, was a prisoner of the Germans in World War II - he
was captured on Crete and spent six years in POW camps.  I have read his
memoirs that he wrote afterwards, including his account of a forced march
through Poland to Germany as the Allies advanced.  They make moving reading
and have helped me understand my dad (now dead) a lot better.  A case of I
wish I had known then what I know now.

I am sharing this for two reasons -
1.  Prisoners did not have to be physically marked to be marked for life (my
dad was not tattooed or anything) and in those days you were expected to
come back from the horrors you had seen and suffered and just get on with
it.
2. There were many more nationalities who were POW of the Germans in WWII,
apart from the Jews, although none suffered as much as they did.  Sometimes,
from the messages I read on LM_NET, it appears that the war started in 1941
when Pearl Harbour was bombed, and that the only combatants were the
Germans, the Americans and the Jews.

Shonda said "(they must choose any aspect of World War II but the Holocaust
is always the central theme" so maybe it is time to broaden the kids'
perspectives.  If it were me, I would show them episodes of Hogan's Heroes
and get them to compare that life with the real thing; explore some of the
great escapes (The Great Escape movie was based on a true story), or the
Dunkirk evacuation or look at the work of the French Resistance or
investigate people like Nancy Wake.  Could lead to all sorts of discussions
about what it is about one's country and way of life that people defend
literally to the end.  Maybe could even lead to some thoughts about why the
violence in Iraq continues - those are the sorts of lifelong learnings that
I think should evolve.  What can we learn from these events that help us
understand the way things are now? What can we learn from these events to
change things in the future?

Barbara

Barbara Braxton
Teacher-Librarian