This might have raised eyebrows a few years ago but now?  Not so much.  My
grown son is gay and although I have always been accepting of that
lifestyle, his coming out brought some of the finer points of the struggle
for gay rights into sharper focus for me.  Despite what we all believe,
there are such a wide variety of alternate lifestyles that I'm not sure
anything can be called "normal" any more.  I work in the library
acquisitions department of an Arizona school district and I processed a book
the other day that quite took me by surprise.  It was called "Visiting Day"
and was a picture book centering on an African American family from a little
girl's viewpoint as they made plans to visit the girl's father in prison.
It was nicely handled but I had a few moments where I questioned its subject
matter.  Then I realized that although this wasn't a reality for my
particular situation, it was for many others in this area.  Part of
tolerance will always be considering and being accepting of simply the
existence of lifestyles and situations that are widely different.

Cathy Deaubl
Library Techical Services
TUSD