First, thanks to all eighteen of you who responded--in 12 hours!  I have enough
information now to move forward and help the teacher write a proposal for the PTA.

In my original message, I explained that a teacher wanted to ask the PTA for a new
opaque projector to project text, pictures, and 3D objects.  I was pretty sure this
is not an appropriate use for an opaque projector.  Instead, she needed a document
camera. The consensus was that she needed a camera.  This person summed it up:

"An opaque projector and a document camera have different purposes, although they
can sometimes overlap. What does she want to do?  If she wants to enlarge a picture
from a book to trace it, then the opaque projector is the proper tool. If she wants
to just show a picture to the class, and has a large-screen tv or video projector
in the room, then the
document camera is the one for her."

Many suggested a Flex Cam, though one person was unhappy with theirs.  A few other
products were mentioned as well:

"Either a document camera (generic name) or a "Viz Cam" (brand name). They are a
little different, but both are excellent products."

"Sandra, we have a flexcam and our art teachers have it checked out constantly!  It
is great for showing both text & photos and also objects and procedures!"

"DocuCam or FlexCam, they are great and have many uses."

"I would advise an Elmo.  It is a machine that hooks up to an LCD.  Through it you
can show a book
(like on an opaque) with colors.  You do not have to make transparencies.  You can
just put a piece of paper on them, also."

"Look on the ELMO site for presentation projectors ... they have an excellent one.
Look under the section titled Digital Visual presenters."

"There is a new camera from AverVision for only $379 including shipping. This one
works with tv's or projectors.  Available through Troxell.  It folds up much more
compactly then our flex cam."

"Don't get a Flexcam.  I have one and it displays upside down.  Try instead an
Elmo.What would be even better, although more expensive, is a digital projector
with a document camera attached.  We have the Toshiba model in our school, and many
teachers like it MUCH better than even an overhead."

"I agree that a flex cam is much better: smaller, multi use, can hook into a TV for
good color display, etc.  We have a couple Cannon Viz Cams
that we really like, but I don't think they make those anymore.  So our latest
purchase was an Elmo."

"Today I say a new video/data projector demonstrated at our SWOhio Educational
Purchasing Coop.  It was a video/data projector, Opaque and overhead - all in one..
 Very impressive!  I think the price they will bid to the EPC will be about $3,500
so it isn't cheap, but it sure was a cool new gadget."

We have just purchased Avervision 100 document cameras
for our science dept to be used much as you describe. They are extremely pleased
with them. The only thing is, our teachers wanted to project their
labs/demonstrations on the projection wall (very large picture) so LCD projectors
were purchased as well. This adds significantly to the cost.
Another depart. borrowed them to project a map (I think) and students viewed on the
TV monitor that was already in place in the room. I was told that
worked well also."

Sandra Lingo, Librarian
Delhi Middle School
5280 Foley Road