Since copyright is established at fixation (writing on paper, saved to =
disk, etc.), it is indisputable that students own the copyright in their =
works. Exploitation of those works is the right of the copyright owner - =
in this case the student or the student's legal guardians. That's why it =
is such a good idea to have students submit their papers themselves to =
Turnitin. In fact, Turnitin encourages that in several ways.=20

What you need to be wary of is putting student work in literary magazines, =
yearbooks, newspapers, webpages, etc. without permission. Not only are you =
reproducing it, you are distributing it (and possibly selling it).

>>> sbrisco <sbrisco021@CHARTER.NET> 5/4/04 8:38:51 PM >>>
In addition, Dr. Simpson spoke about teachers keeping copies of students'
work.  She told us that it WAS ILLEGAL for us to keep copies of students'
work WITHOUT the consent of the parent / guardian / student.

How many of us are thinking this one through?  (I'm ready for more =
insights
on this issue....Dr. Simpson???)

~Shonda Brisco
Trinity Valley MS / US Librarian