I am wondering if the promotion I am about to describe is one that is
being carried out everywhere, or is just a Guam Gumdrop gimmick!

I received a letter from a school official stating that Gumdrop was
conducting a campaign to solicit donations from the public on behalf
of school libraries.  They plan to set up shop in a mall with samples
of their books and a wish list from school librarians.  We were asked
to let our administration know if we wished to set up an appointment
with Gumdrop to select books.

I am deeply concerned about this.  I feel we need to "select" our
books based on professional book reviews, etc.  A cursory look at
what Gumdrop carries without consulting reviews is irresponsible.  If
the public is willing to donate money for new books, I would much
prefer to make up a list of the "best books" to meet curricular and
leisure-time reading--not just a list of what Gumdrop happens to
carry to make a profit.  As we all know, Gumdrop does not normally
carry the books that receive "starred reviews" or the "best of the
best" or even "Children's Choices Awards".  Correct me if things have
changed!!

Please post your reaction to both me and the  listserv.  I am
relocating to the Big Island of Hawaii very soon, it is the end of
the school year, and realistically, I don't have time to do a hit!
Would appreciate a personal note from you too--I just won't do a hit.

--
Cheryl King, Librarian
Agana Heights Elementary School