It's an unpleasant problem, but I'm not sure that Ebsco has much choice
in the matter... Microsoft's announced they're no longer going to
support IE on the Mac platform:
<http://news.com.com/2100-1045_3-1017126.html> which would make it next
to impossible for a vendor to provide support for their own products
using that browser.

...brig

On Wed, 2004-11-10 at 10:52 -0800, Caroline Petersen wrote:
> Colleagues,
>
> We were notified recently that EbscoHost is changing its browser support.
> If I am reading it correctly the change will mainly effect MAC
> environments.  They will no long support Internet Explorer on MACs.  MAC
> users will have to switch to either Netscape(for OS X or 9 operating
> systems) or Safari(for OS X).
>
> I am a bit perturbed as this has implications for both library and home
> users.  Right now our school uses Internet Explorer on all our computers
> and, given the steep learning curve for new technology, it will be an
> uphill battle to get people to switch to a new browser so they can access
> the magazine database.  In the library we are still on one of the  9
> operating systems and will not be switching to OS X for a while, so we
> will be stuck with Netscape.
>
> At home, if our students are on PCs it is no problem, but, if they are
> using MACs, I wonder how many will bother to make the switch in browsers
> just so they can use the database.
>
> I'm feeling quite frustrated with EBSCO as I have paid for a year's
> subscription and now the useability of the service is seriously
> compromised.  If I had known this was coming I would have chosen another
> database.
>
> So, am I over-reacting?  Is anyone else faced with this problem?  How are
> you handling it?  Did I misunderstand this change?
>
> Thanks for your input.
>

> Caroline Petersen
> Librarian
> Mount Tamalpais School
> cpetersen@mttam.org

> All LM_NET postings are protected by copyright law.
> LM_NET Help & Information: http://www.eduref.org/lm_net/
> Archive: http://www.eduref.org/lm_net/archive/
> EL-Announce with LM_NET Select: http://elann.biglist.com/el-announce/
> LM_NET Supporters: http://www.eduref.org/lm_net/ven.html
Brig C. McCoy                   5109 Cherry St
Head, Systems Office            Kansas City, MO  64110  USA
Linda Hall Library of Science,  816 926-8749 PHN, -8790 FAX
Engineering, and Technology     <http://www.lindahall.org>

PGP Public Key: <http://www.theworld.com/~brigc/pgp/>