Hello,
I am and elementary school librarian in Portland, Maine.  We are
building a new elementary school and the city councilors and planning
board decided to make the new school library a combined public/school
library. (No input from any librarians was requested or taken under
consideration.)  We are struggling with some sticky problems in
trying to combine staff, software, books, sharing the day, security
for kids, etc., etc.  I also don't want to lose the good school
library program I have going.

I would appreciate being able to email or call school librarians who
are in combined school/public libraries in situations that are
similar in any way to mine.  If you would be willing and able to
offer some help please contact me directly and  I will certainly
publish a list as a hit, as well as information that will be of use
to everyone.

Portland is a town of 70,000.  We have a strong public library with
both a main facility and 5 branches which uses triple I  circ/cat
software.  We have a strong school library system in Portland with 15
schools, all automated with Spectrum, all with ed techs, librarians
and flexible schedules.  I have done a fair amount of research and
find instances of public libraries taking over school libraries and
communities having combined libraries because there is no other
library in town but have not found situations that really match ours.
I have read the back files on LM_NET.  I could really use some
examples, problems, successes that I can share and use.

Thank you so much, Judy
--
Judith Wentzell
Librarian