Here are the responses.  Thanks to all of you who sent ideas!

1. Bud, Not Buddy by Christopher Curtis
2. Because of Winn Dixie by Kate Dicamilo
3. The Tale of Despereaux by Kate Dicamillo
4. SuperFudge by Judy Blume

The book _Snow Treasure_ by Marie MacSwigan would be good.  Each
chapter ends with a mild cliffhanger, and the kids love to hear it read

to them.  They always seem to want "just one more chapter."

I love the classics - E.B. White's Charlotte's Web, and what about
Roald
Dahl's Charlie and the Chocolate Factory?  Lois Lowry also wrote a new
one I
love - Gooney Bird Greene!

Because of Winn Dixie by DiCamillo
And I love "The Report Card" by Clements.

The TAle of Despereaux

My third graders loved Frindle, Hoot with its environmental theme and
also Tales of Devereaux.

Gary Paulsen's "Woodsong" is a great non-fiction read
aloud.

That age loves Roald Dahl's Matilda and The Witches. Great vocabulary
for
them to hear and the stories are captivating.

Clever Lollipop by dick king-smith
The Gold Threaded Dress by Carolyn Marsden
Tale of Desperaux by Kate Di cammillo

My favorite is "The Secrets of Ms Snickles class."  I also like
"Evangeline Mudd".

Tale of Despereaux

Here are some that my third grade teachers use:

Boys against the Girls series by Naylor
Skinnybones by Park
Judy Moody books by McDonald
Rosie, Maxie and Earl: Partners in Grime by Park
Sam books by Lowry
Hank Zipzer books by Winkler
Bailey School books by Dadey

We loved How to be a Perfect Person in Just Three Days
by Mane.  And the Bunnicula books by Howe.

Last year I suggested to a third grade teacher that she read aloud The
Tale
of Despereaux by DiCamillo. They all loved the story!

My third graders love Be A Perfect Person in Just Three Days
by Stephen Manes.

Tale of Desperaux
Little Wolf's Book of Badness (and others in series)
Last of the Really Great Whangdoodles

You should refer to Jim Trelease's Read-Aloud Handbook, any edition.
One of the many books he mentions is Owls in the Family by Farley Mowat.
The older editions have cool books like Pearl's Promise that may be out
of print but may be available in the library.
 If she is thinking of picture books she should also consider When I
Was Nine by James Stevenson and his other autobiographical picture
books. Also The Big Orange Splot by Daniel Manus Pinkwater which is one
of those books that every child should have heard.

Darcy Maxwell, LMC Director
Summit Elementary
1800 Lakeshore Dr.
La Crosse, WI  54603