Earlier I asked about ideas for a group of good readers in 3rd grade.  I
have mentioned doing a fiction/non-fiction pair.  Here are my responses.
 Thanks to those of you who sent me an idea!

"Woodsong" by Gary Paulsen is non-fiction, and an
excellent book. You could pair it up with "Dogsong" (also
by Gary Paulsen)

Third graders love animals so you might try Animal Fact/Animal Fable
by
Seymour Simon.

What about one of Peg Kehret's non-fiction books--Small Steps or
Shelter
Dogs.

You might try pairing up the book, Lewis and Clark, and Me: A Dog's
Tale by
Laurie Myers with any nonfiction book on Lewis Meriwether and William
Clark.

I don't have a title in mind, but perhaps something about a
"real-life"
mystery--or something with a real-life villain.

This book is on the Texas Bluebonnet list.  I think it is about the
same
reading level as Bad Beginning and a really interesting read!
The man has an accident and has a spike right through is face and brain
and
lives!
Fleischman, John. Phineas Gage: A Gruesome but True Story About Brain
Science. Houghton Mifflin Company, 2002. ISBN 0-618-05252-6, $16.00.
BCCB,
BK, HB, PW, SLJ

Have you seen the book:
It's Disgusting and We Ate It! : True Food Facts from Around the World
and Throughout History
by James Solheim, Eric Brace (Illustrator)
I checked Amazon and see it is still in print.  The kids should love
it.

You could couple it with:Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs, by Judi
Barrett
Thomas Rockwell's book, How to eat Fried Worms
I Will Never Not Ever Eat a Tomato, by Lauren Child
And many more...read some poems with food in them and some joke books
about food.
Sounds like fun!

Hi, I like Jim Murphy; particulary "The Great Fire" and "Blizzard! The
Snowstorm that changed America"
Not sure exactly what you could pair these with. Blizzard is good since
it's winter & that book talks a great deal about the changes this storm
brought about in emergency preparations.

How about It's Disgusting and We Ate It by James Solheim?  The boys
will
love it and the girls probably will too - it's very interesting and
will
keep their attention.  Good luck!

What about the Zoobook series or the nonfiction companions to the
Magic
Tree HOuse series...

Darcy Maxwell, LMC Director
Summit Elementary