Thanks to all who responded to my question about copyright.  Included below
are the responses I received.

Totally illegal, even the first time -- that does not come within the
fair use and not legal to change format for any reason without
written permission.

One way to do what it seems you might be wanting to do is to invest
in a document camera of some type -- the most popular is an ELMO
(brand) which serves a function similar to an overhead projector but
has the capability to project hard copies (papers or book pages) onto
a screen.  I then use two copies of the book -- one to hold while I
read the book and one for an assistant to use on the ELMO "stage" and
to turn the pages appropriately.  Works very well and totally legal.
No copies are made of any of the pages.

I hope this ELMO solution will work for you.

Yes, it is illegal to make it, much less keep it.  They have changed the
format of the book from print to digital.  They have copied the entire
work, not just a small portion of it.  That's a direct violation of the
copyright law.

It was illegal the first time! Only 10% of a picture book may be copied at
any one time.

It was not legal the first time without permission from the publisher.  The
format is at the discretion of the author, changing the format (print to
electronic) is a violation, and copying the heart of the book, the pictures,
is also a violation. Only the publisher can give you permission to scan and
use these pictures.

Yes, this is against copyright.  The person who scanned the pictures is
changing the format - this right belongs to the copyright holder.  The
best book I've seen on copyright is by Carol Simpson.  If I'm not
mistaken, she deals with this very issue in her book.  You may want to
consider getting it for your school.

Becky, because you are in Japan, you need to consult the copyright laws
there. US copyright laws have  no effect on copyright practice in Japan.
Japan protects US works under Japanese law.

Definitely a 'no-no'.

I don't think this was legal even the first time, but
check with Carol Simpson (she is on this list, too).

Thanks so much!

Becky Zirkle
Christian Academy in Japan
bzirkle@caj.or.jp