I got more requests for a HIT than responses, so here is the cumulative list
of what people suggested:

A suggested purchase was  "The Big 6 Workshop" "which has some
activities/pages for overheads etc... It would be a good purchase because
you might want to do follow on workshops on curr. mapping and long range
planning."

I have two quick Big 6 activities I've done with teachers:

1)  As a group, we answer the question, "Were the ancient Chinese more
advanced than other civilizations?"  We look for inventions attributed to
the early Chinese.  Then we break into partnerships to research the history
of each.  Our essential questions are:  1) When did the Chinese first use
this invention? Is there evidence of it being invented in China?  2)  How
did they use it?  3)  What materials was it made from?  4)  When does it
show up in other cultures?  How is it used, and from what materials is it
made?  I provide resources.  Each partnership gives a little oral
presentation at the end about the particular invention.  We end by making a
decision (about whether the  Chinese were more advanced) and by going
through Step 6.

2)  Hunter/gatherer vs. Farmer.  I give each partnership a location (such as
Mongolia, Afghanistan, Sudan, etc.) and have them research ot see which
livestyle best fits the location.  Our essential questions are:  1)  What
are the natural resources 2)  What are the landforms?  and 3) What is the
climate?  I provide photocopies from "Lands and Peoples" because the reading
is easy and short.  It's actually my first sixthg rade Big 6 project, but it
works well with staff!

I print out 8 x 11 sheets with the Big 6 steps (and the details for each
step) and make a large chart on my wall.  I make sure that when I am facing
the class (staff) I can stand with my right hand on "Task Definition" and my
left hand on "Synthesis" so I can make a clear connection between the two.
I think this is critical for staff to understand.

Jo Chinn

Sequim Middle School Library

One activity I really like is to make the poster on a poster machine (the
older poster with the symbols of question mark, note pad, puzzle etc) I then
remove the symbols and cut them into six separate squares. Hang the poster
face down on a board.
Pass out the symbols ( you might have more than one set and give one symbol
to each small group) Ask: What does each symbol have to do with research,
school work or life decisions? After short discussion, start to collect the
symbols(one for each step) Put the symbol in the appropriate place beside
the back sided of the poster. When all symbols are collected-6- and placed
in the right place, turn the poster over and now the group can see the
entire poster, and they have talked about the process thru the use of the
symbols. This can lead into the next part of your presentation which might
be a ppt or oral presentation ...whatever. This has worked with kids and
adults. You want to set the expectation that the time together will be an
interactive experience. Before everyone leaves collect your extra symbols
for use at a later time with another group.
I hope this is clear.
Also, it is fun to model the process useing making cookies as the
problem/task. Go thru the steps and at the end ask (evaluation), How will I
know the cookies were any good/or a success?  TASTE them and pass out
cookies you made earlier in anticipation of the class. The group will love
it.

Jean Koch, LMS, Va Beach, VA

__________________

One thing you could do is give them a well-designed research assignment
from a content area, along with a copy of the Big 6. Have them analyze
which steps from the Big6 are used when completing the assignment. This
also shows them how information literacy skills are embedded in content
areas, too.

I used one of Jamie McKenzie's assignments from www.fno.org.

Marsha Filipiak
Roseville Area Schools