A couple of weeks ago, I asked for suggestions on professional books on
reading. The original post was:

"I am compiling a "must read" list of books related to reading, in
elementary
and secondary school.  This will be a resource list for librarians
interested in delving deeper into the topic.  I am not looking for books
targeted for librarians (e.g., choosing books, booktalking, etc) but books
that teachers, administrators and staff developers should have on their
professional shelf."

I had included a list of titles for secondary school.

I am pasting in the final list which I compiled (annotated by me), one that
will appear in my library association's newsletter this fall.

The Professional Shelf: Reading
Selected by Rena Deutsch

A selected list of professional books to inform, challenge, enrage and
perhaps inspire you.

Allington, Richard. What Really Matter for Struggling Readers : Designing
Research-based Programs.  (Allyn and Bacon, 2000).
A blend of research and practice from a well-known expert on reading, and a
vocal opponent of the National Council on Reading report.

Beers, Kylene.  When kids can't read. What teachers can do.  A Guide for
Teachers 6-12. (Heinemann, 2002)
Specific strategies to help students with comprehension, vocabulary,
fluency, word recognition and motivation. A favorite!

Chall, Jeanne.  Learning to Read: The Great Debate. (McGraw-Hill, 1988)
On the other side of the debate from Allington, Chall was a vocal proponent
of teaching phonics.

Cullinan, Bernice.  Read to Me: Raising Kids Who Love to Read (Scholastic,
2000)
Recommended as a great book for parents and other caregivers (see also Jim
Trelease).

Daniels, Harvey and Steven Zemelman. Subjects Matter. Every teacher's guide
to content-area reading. (Heinemann, 2004)
Classroom activities, reading lists galore, a persuasive argument against
the exclusive use of textbooks: this book has tons of relevant, useful
information for content area teachers.

Harvey, Stephanie and Anne Goudvis. Strategies That Work: Teaching
Comprehension to Enhance Understanding
Common-sense strategies to help students gain meaning from what they've just
read.  An absolute must-read for high elementary through middle school
educators.

Krashen, Stephen.  Power of Reading: Insights from the Research. 2nd ed.
(Libraries Unlimited, 2004)
Our reading guru (and a huge fan of school libraries), Krashen has done more
research than anyone else showing that free voluntary reading is THE most
effective tool in increasing children's ability to read, write and
comprehend.

Pinnell, Gay Su and Irene Fountas. Guided Reading : Good first reading for
all children.
When elementary school librarians were queried about "must reads" on
reading, the names of these two authors came up repeatedly.

Schoenbach, Ruth et al.  Reading for Understanding.  (Jossey-Bass, 1999)
My professional read of summer 2003, this is a book that opened my eyes to
what a great reading program for high school kids should look like.

Trelease, Jim.  Read Aloud Handbook. 5th ed. (Penguin, 2001)
For you and the parents in your school, a great list of books to read aloud
to children of all ages, and, in the first section, a compelling rationale
for doing so.

Tovani, Cris.  I read it but I don't get it : Comprehension Strategies for
Adolescent Readers.

--  Do I really have to teach reading? Content Comprehension Grades 6-12.
My absolute favorite books on content area reading.  I've already gotten
teachers in the school to read my copy - then go out and buy their own so
they can write notes all over the pages!  Funny, down-to-earth, practical,
and so much more.

Wolfe, Patricia.  Brain Matters: Translating Research into Classroom
Practice. (ASCD, 2001).
While not strictly about reading, this book offers a look at how the brain
works, and discusses how the brain research can inform classroom practices.

Zimmerman,  Susan and Ellin Oliver Keene.   Mosaic of Thought : Teaching
Comprehension in a Readers Workshop. (Heinemann, 1997)
THE book that the DOE had the principals, literacy coaches and LIS' reading
last year.

Rena Deutsch, Librarian
Bayard Rustin HS for the Humanities
351 W. 18th Street