Here are the responses I received. Thanks much!

One year a teacher had students prepare a puppet or
doll based on the alien, monster, robot, or creature
from the book.  We displayed them around the media
center with a copy of the books.  One of the funniest
was from EXILES OF COLSEC which featured part of a
washing machine hose sprayed brown.  You had to see it
to appreciate it.

I've had my fifth graders "find the science" in their
science fiction. Perhaps my links on my science
fiction page will help.
http://www.websterschools.org/classrooms/state_library/science_fiction.html

We have a teacher doing a project for the fantasy
genre where they
design their own fantasy country with maps,
descriptions of the
inhabitants, and more.  They'll be doing power point
presentations, and the best will be placed on our
school website.

travel poster to the setting of the story showing the
main characters

modeling (clay) of main character, team with art
teacher?

mobile of main characters , settings, or scenes from
story

Marcia Gemler, Librarian
Cleveland Municipal Schools
mgemler@yahoo.com