RE: Trina Schart Hyman  (4/8/39 - 11/20/04)

One of my favorite stories about Trina and the information she
managed to get into her illustrations include her ex-husband as one
of the dwarfs in Snow White; the "engaged" couple on the ornate edge
of a table in King Stork -- but the best one IMHO is the one she put
on the tombstone of Will You Sign here John Hancock by Jean Fritz.
It seems that her edition of Snow White was reviewed in  Kirkus
Reviews while Hyman was working on the illustrations for Sign Here
John Hancock.  Since Kirkus reviews (then run by the stalwart
Virginia Kirkus) panned her edition  caused Trina to be a little
cranky -- well maybe more than cranky.  In the scene where Hancock is
walking in the cemetery grieving over his young son's death in an
accident -- there are tombstones throughout the cemetery.  One in the
lower right hand corner carried this inscription:

Virginia Kirk
us a nasty
soul is its own
reward

I'm told that once Jean Fritz was made aware of the insertion -- she
made sure the publisher air brushed out the inscription in all
subsequent editions.  In following editions and to this day any
copies have a completely blank tombstone in the lower right hand
corner of that page.

She just recently sent an illustration of a dragon breathing fire on
rice cakes for a feature to include her and her daughter Katrin
Tchana - -and their book collaborations; in a forthcoming book --
Authors in the Kitchen: Recipes, Stories, and More.

She was a generous and thoughtful -- a wonderful artist, a wonderful
person.  I seldom, if ever, saw her without a smile.

My sympathy to our collective book communities - -and especially to
her daughter Katrin and her two beloved grandsons.

Sharron McElmeel

--
===============
Sharron L. McElmeel

3000 N Center Point Rd
Cedar Rapids, IA 52411-9548

ph. (319) 393-2562
FAX (319) 393-4749
(if fax line is busy make a voice call to 319.393-2562 and ask that
the line be cleared).
mcelmeel@mcelmeel.com

Author of ABCs of an Author/Illustrator Visit (Linworth); Children's
Authors and Illustrators Too Good to Miss (Libraries Unlimited); 100
Most Popular Children's Authors (Libraries Unlimited), 100 Most
Popular Picture Book Authors and Illustrators (Libraries Unlimited),
Character Education: A Book Guide for Teachers, Librarians, and
Parents (Libraries Unlimited) and other titles
(http://www.mcelmeel.com/writing).