Once again, Thank you all so much for such speedy and helpful responses.  I was
able to use the numbers and your comments to help explain (again) the needs of the
library media program, in this case, specifically, for extra contract days.  I
don't know what the outcome will be, but I was reassured that I am not at all alone
in believing that the maintenance of a quality library and library program require
much more time than what we are able to accomplish when the library is open and in
use.  Below are the responses in numbers followed by a summary of your comments.
This seems to be an issue many of us are facing.
  a.. 20 extra days -- 3 people
  b.. 15 extra days -- 2 people
  c.. 10 days -- 22 people
  d.. 5 days -- 2 people
  e.. No extra work days -- 10 people -- ( most of these folks said that they close
their libraries before the end of the school year and do not open the first day of
the school year.  Most of these respondents said that they once had extended
contract days but they have been cut over the past few years due to budget
problems)
  f.. Other -- 9 days...8 days ... 7 days... 3 days... 2 days
Mentioned by almost all were the following:
    Inventory and finalization of inventory, weeding, shelf reading, updating
patron information in databases, POs approved and sent for payment, extended budget
planning and major orders, collection and maintenance of equipment, updating forms
and library publications, attention to huge volume of mail, processing of book
orders, cleaning, organization of library, displays, program planning.
    Many said that there were differences in extended contract days for Elem.,
Middle, and HS libraries.  Library assistants usually get 2 days (as David said, go
figure).  All respondents said that opening on the first day of school and staying
open until the last day of school was impossible without extra days.  And most said
regardless of whether they get extra paid time, they come in anyway to do what they
have to do.  Me, too.  It makes me proud of myself for the job I do and angry at
myself for perpetuating the problem.   If you need more specific information about
the responses, please let me know.
    Thank you all so much for being my work partners and virtual friends.  Good
luck to us all..............EC

Eileen Culkin, Librarian
Inter-Lakes Jr. Sr. High School
Meredith, NH
"I really didn't realize the librarians were, you know, such a dangerous group.
They are subversive. You think they're just sitting there at the desk, all quiet
and everything. They're like plotting the revolution, man. I wouldn't mess with
them." Michael Moore