My son who loves "bar bets" although this happened to be on the night
shift at work called on night to find out how tall Wilma Rudolph was
or some such thing.
He thought I could look it up on the WWW.  I did but for fun I also
called the local public library while I was logging on.  The
reference service from the library called back with the height,
weight, and her age at the time she competed in the 64 Olympics; and
the date (October 15). -- I was still searching.  I pride myself on
being fast but the library with their reference books were faster -
actually I spent another 10 minutes and at that time still did not
find it.

With that said, I had to tell the reference department that I was
checking the WWW as the "reference librarians" (not sure they are
librarians or assistants trained to answer easily found requests from
the phone and pass the difficult ones on to the librarians) often
check the WWW first.  :>)

Sharron

At 9:43 AM -0500 1/10/04, Sheri Haveman wrote:
>Hi everyone,
>
>I just wanted to share an example that just happened in my library.
>  From time to time, I have seen discussions on here about how our
>students want to use the computer/internet for everything.  I had two
>students wanting to find a city in Iowa.  I pulled out the atlas and
>found it with one of them before the other (who insisted on using the
>computer) had even logged on.  The other student that I was helping
>then replied, "I guess we will find it on the Internet."  Didn't I just
>find it for them in 5 seconds?  They spent the next 5 minutes on the
>computer "finding" this city.  I just don't get it.
>Sheri Haveman
>Librarian
>Pella Christian High School
>604 Jefferson
>Pella, IA 50219
havemans@pella-christian.pvt.k12.ia.us

Sharron L. McElmeel
McBookwords (a literacy organization)
http://www.mcelmeel.com/
Instructor - University of Wisconsin-Stout
http://www.uwstout.edu/soe/profdev/childrenslit

3000 N Center Point Rd
Cedar Rapids, IA 52411-9548

ph. (319) 393-2562
FAX (319) 393-4749  (if line is busy make a voice call to
319.393-2562 and ask that the line be cleared).
mcelmeel@mcelmeel.com