One year, I choose to read ALOUD (okay, read the whole thing before deciding
"What in the WORLD was SHE thinking) Call of the Wild--because it went with
the unit I was teaching to 2nd graders.  I would read each night to see
where I would edit the violence and swearing.  My students never knew that I
was substituting a paragraph with "He went into town to talk with friends"
for the whole violent scene in the tavern.  But then I came down with
pnemonia, and my SUB read and just said "oops" for any swearing. And didn't
edit out the descriptive fighting.  My kids all of a sudden wanted to READ
this BOOK.  It because MUCH more interesting because there was prohibitive
language and actions.  OHHHH, did I say.... This was at a very CONSERVATIVE
Christian school.  WHAT WAS I THINKING???

But, as I told the students BEFORE I started the book, this is a book
written for adults.  I might not read you the WHOLE book, but I want you to
hear the beauty of the language of the author.

I think you need to decide ahead of time....Do books with some profanity
belong on the open shelves, with maybe an alert when checked out to advice a
student that this book may be something that they would want to think about.
  OR if you would censor this book.

It is the times of the time.