My target was for a list of Non US Authors that would appeal to high scho=
ol
students who have a requirement to read some Non US authors. I wanted som=
authors other than the ones we might consider "classic".

The hit is in  parts due to length. At the end is a list of authors I
didn't have time to place in a category as I wanted to get this out.

Africa
Nervous Conditions =

Things Fall Apart =

The Dark Child =

So Long A Letter
The Chinese _The Butcher's Wife_

Australia
Walking Naked, and Feeling Sorry for Celia are by Australian authors
Clarke, Judith Wolf on the Fold
Nix, Garth  Sabriel
Zusak, Markus Fighting Ruben Wolfe
Hathorn, Libby Thunderwith
Gleitzman, Morris (born in UK) Puppy Fat
Marchetta, Melina Looking for Alibrandi
Marsden ,John series Tomorrow when the war =

http://www.yara-online.org and select Older Readers you can read reviews =
of
the latest Australian YA stuff =

http://www.eddept.wa.edu.au/cmis/eval/fiction/authors/
Scroll down the list and look for those indicated by an Australian flag a=
nd
with the codes 'EA' and 'LA' [Early and Late Adolescence]
The Children's Book Council of Australia has annual awards for the best
books published each year. The 'Older Readers' category has titles suitab=
le
for your students: http://www.cbc.org.au/awards1.htm#winners
If you want to source titles try http://www.gleebooks.com.au =

Gretel Killian =

She wrote My Life is a Toilet, and My Life is a Wedgie.  She is Australia=
n.
Jacqueline Wilson  =

Austrian
Kafka

British
Beverley Naidoo (England and Africa)
Conan Doyle,
"The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time"
http://www.ipl.org/div/litcrit/bin/litcrit.out.pl?pd=3DBritish:+20th+Cent=
ury

Canada
Deborah Ellis - Parvana's Journey The Breadwinner Mud City
Monica Hughes
Kevin Major
Sarah Ellis
Jack Whyte - Arthurian legend kind of stuff
Douglas Coupland - Girlfriend in a Coma Microserfs Hey Nostradamus All
Families are Psychotic
Yann Martel - Life of Pi
Arthur Clarke - The Polished Hoe
Michael Ondaatje - The English Patient In The Skin of a Lion Rohinton
Mistry - Family Matters A Fine Balance
Carol Shields - Unless The Stone Diaries
Tomson Highway - Kiss of the Fur Queen
Thomas King - Green Grass Running Water Truth and Bright Water
Lee Maracle - Sundogs Ravensong
Margaret Atwood - Blind Assassin Oryx and Crake Alias Grace
Will Ferguson - Happiness
Anita Rau Badami - Tamarind Mem
Wayson Choy - Paper Shadows
William Gibson - Idoru Neuromancer Pattern Recognition
Also, if your kids like the Angus, Thongs... books, they may also like =

Buffie, Margaret Dark Garden
Goldman, E.M. Night Room
McNamee, Graham Hate You
Nodelman, Perry Behaving Bradley
Orr, Wendy Peeling the Onion
Wynne-Jones, Tim Maestro
Montgomery, L.M. Emily's Quest
Johnston, Julie Adam and Eve and Pinch-Me
Brooks, Martha Paradise Caf=E9 & Other Stories
Bell, William Forbidden City: A Novel
Matas, Carol Sworn Enemies
Rivers, Karen Dream Water
Internet Public Library -- go to