In a message dated 10/30/2004 4:39:09 PM Eastern Standard Time,
csturgeo@OHIO.NET writes:

Knowing  who to ask is as important as finding the information
for  yourself.

Hmm...I was under the impression that one of our jobs is to make research  as
easy as possible. Isn't that what libraries and library science are all
about? The whole idea is to make information as accessible as possible.   Sure,
I'd like the kids to understand something about Dewey, but part of the  point of
Dewey is that you don't have to understand it to use it; you only have  to
understand number order.  If we weren't trying to make it easier, why  would we
make it so people can search by subject?

If librarians wish to continue to be relevant, we have to MAKE it our job  to
make wading through all the information as easy as possible...and if that
means pulling books for the students, or anyone else, for that matter, so be  it.

Just my nickel's worth (inflation, you know)

Wendy Stoll,  Librarian
Smyrna Elementary
Louisville,  KY