Question.

Why are we only talking about Google Images?

The Yahoo Image database is just as large. What about PicSearch (also
used at Jeeves), Ditto, and many other general search tools?

Also, why can't librarians (let's make it a group effort) build "a
search shelf" of specialized image databases organized by subject
and instruct students to begin their searches with these tools?
Then, if necessary, move to a general web engine.

cheers,
gary

Quoting Nancy Willard <nwillard@CSRIU.ORG>:

> My recommendation on dealing with Google Images issues is to focus
> on what
> is occurring with respect to monitoring and consequences of
> inappropriate
> behavior.
>
> The end objective should be to sufficiently deter intentional
> access, as
> well as to avoid accidental access, so that you can continue to
> use this
> valuable service.
>
> For younger students the primary concern should hopefully be
> accidental
> access. The problem you face is that some perfectly innocent words
> could
> lead to yucky materials. Try the word "cheerleader" without safe
> search
> activated. (But do NOT try this with kids around!)
>
> To avoid accidental access, set the Google Image Search on the
> safe
> searching mode. Then require that the students provide a list of
> search
> terms to their teacher or the librarian for approval prior to
> searching.
> Then teachers and librarians are going to have to use "big
> thinking caps" to
> consider which words might accidentally lead to yucky images, even
> with safe
> search on.
>
> All elementary students should know that if something ever comes
> up on their
> screen that is yucky (fortunately these images are really small),
> they
> should immediately turn off the screen (they should practice this)
> and come
> and tell an adult. This is a really good lesson for the beginning
> of the
> year. Because NO filter is going to provide total protection.
> Students in
> middle and high school should be allowed to exit such sites on
> their own --
> but should report accidental access just so they do not get
> accidentally
> disciplined.
>
> For intentional access concerns, the issue is the effectiveness of
> your
> supervision/monitoring and the disciplinary consequence.
>
> How well is your lab set up? Do you have a reasonably good chance
> of seeing
> the situation if a student is intentionally trying to access such
> material?
> If you are shifting to a laptop situation, this will be harder.
>
> If you do not have a lab set up that allows effective "real
> person"
> supervision, then you need to look for a technical monitoring
> solution.
> There is an intelligent monitoring system that can be used on the
> district's
> entire system that results is excellent deterrence. You could also
> [...]

Gary D. Price, MLIS
Librarian
Gary Price Library Research and Internet Consulting

Visit The ResourceShelf
http://www.resourceshelf.com