Generally, when kids come to the library for research , we don't tell
them to NOT use the fiction section. We show them the range of resources
that ARE going to be successful.

Rather than even try to block, I promote using the pictures available in
subscription services like Ebsco or our encyclopedias. The way I  put it
to teachers is that the encyclopedias, Ebsco, Proquest, elibrary are set
for curriculum research. If they really need a picture for their school
project, there should be something for them in one or more of the
databases.  Not to mention scanning a picture from a book sitting on our
shelves.

There are many good web resources also. If you're not providing (or
can't) subscription resources, then building some resource guides or
pathfinders may be the ticket.  Kids will still need to learn how to
poke around in a resource like LOC American Memory , museum sites,
professional organizations, or many of the .gov sites supporting
science, history, arts, health, etc.

I do build Pathfinders and Resource Guides for various projects also.
These provide a list of links to resources for that specific topic. The
kids still need to review list for best choices and do some searching on
the site itself. Kids will learn some evaluation skills along the way.

I think at this point, about half my teachers are telling the kids that
the cite for a picture needs to come from one of the library linked
resources. And that half aren't having the problem of  having pictures
of tattoos of roses, possibly on a young lady named Rose, popping up on
the lab computers. And I get the opportunity to do a bit of teaching on
best techniques like selecting resource, resource evaluation, search
terms, and tricks to make search better.

Actually, I think it was a post of Gary's  about a .gov clearinghouse
that got me started on providing a broader range of quality sources,
both image and data.

Robert Eiffert
Librarian, Pacific MS  Vancouver WA
pac.egreen.wednet.edu/library
beiffert at comcast dot net, beiffert at egreen dot wednet dot edu

gary price wrote:

><snip>
>Also, why can't librarians (let's make it a group effort) build "a
>search shelf" of specialized image databases organized by subject
>and instruct students to begin their searches with these tools?
>Then, if necessary, move to a general web engine.
>

>Quoting Nancy Willard <nwillard@CSRIU.ORG>:
>

>>My recommendation on dealing with Google Images issues is to focus
>>on what
>>is occurring with respect to monitoring and consequences of
>>inappropriate
>>behavior.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0436-4, 09/03/2004
Tested on: 9/3/2004 12:24:05 PM