Thanks everyone for suggested titles about Chess. I have been asked by a
few for the titles I was sent so here is a HIT.
=20
 The one I was looking for I think is David Birch's The King's
Chessboard (Dial, 1988)? This is the story where the reward starts with
one grain of rice on the first square of the chessboard, then doubles
each day...to an astronomical number on the 64th square. Demi's One
Grain of Rice is similar tale, exquisitely illustrated.
=20
The Token Gift
<http://www.enc.org/resources/records/0,1240,017323,00.shtm> by Hugh
William McKibbon (Annick, 1996). The story, set in India, tells of the
development of the game of chess. The story can be used to explore the
meaning of growth by doubling. (ENC-017323
=20
---------------

We have a book that was on our high school reading list last year, but
it is more on how to play chess. It's published by Kingfisher and is
called "Chess: From first moves to checkmate," by Daniel King. It's a
7th grade level book, very thin, but uses lots of photos and
illustrations on how to play.

=20

Sutcliff, Rosemary (1993). Chess-dream in a garden
<http://holmes.lib.muohio.edu/search/t?Chess-dream+in+a+garden> .
Cambridge, MA: Walker Books Ltd.=20

=09
=09
        Abstract:
        After some laws and ways were disobeyed, the White-King along
with his Queen, Knights, bishops, and pawns challenge the Red-Horde to a
"chess-like" battle.   =20
=09
=09

=20
I think you're looking for this book. It is lovely--not often checked
out but useful for those who need it:
J 794.1 CAR The story of chess. Cardo, Horacio=20
=20
Thanks again
Amanda Bond Teacher Librarian, Takapuna Grammar School, Takapuna,
AUCKLAND, NEW ZEALAND
a.bond@takapuna.school.nz