Thank you to those who responded, and thank you to those who offered to fax me the
Library Sparks Aug./Sept. issue.  Another LM_NET user offered to send me copies and
I accepted.  (Thank you!)
Here is the HIT.

Original request:  I'd like to get names of books and activities that I can

do for Hispanic Heritage Month and also for the 16th of September

(Mexico's Independence Day).  This would be stories and activities that

would suit elementary students from Pre-K to 5th grade.  I appreciate your

help!  Gracias a todos!  (Thank you to all!)

Here is the link to Hispanic Heritage Month at Librarians' Index to the

Internet

http://lii.org/search?m=p&query=hispanic+heritage&Search=SEARCH+LII.ORG&sear

chtype=keywords

Try checking the ALA site for the list of Belpre award winners:

http://www.ala.org/Template.cfm?Section=bookmediaawards&template=/ContentManagement/ContentDisplay.cfm&ContentID=68824

I would suggest books by the following authors:

Alma Flor Ada

Matthew Gollub

Lucha Corpi

Francisco Alarcon

Pat Mora

Gary Soto

Carmen Garza Lomas

Unfortunately, I cannot get my computer to create a sendable file with

titles and so authors will have to suffice.  My display will include

folklore, picture books, chapter books, country books, bilingual books,

biographies.  I try to emphasize books by Hispanic authors when

possible

(thus the list I have created is mainly that with the exception of

Gollub who is bilingual and whose illustrator for his folklore tales is

Leovigildo Martinez).

You might also want to check out scholastic.com. They usually cover

highlighted months such as these, providing resources to use.

For one 3rd grade week, I taught students the men's part of the Mexican

Hat Dance (very easy), we made liquados (essentially fruit smoothies

Mexican style), and we did modified Mexican yarn art (instructions found

on the internet--also very easy).  Another teacher had them make

pinatas with papier mache on balloons.

I have no suggestions for stories, though.

One of the bluebonnets is a picture book about Cesar Chavez, you could

read that with the children, have them name their own heros or talk

about challenges Hispanics have faced in this country.

Another bluebonnet is The Pot That Juan Built--you could read that and

do an art project with the kids--have them make their own pottery

trying

some of his methods

We have several big books that deal with Hispanic family life--Mi

Familia/My Family is one example.

You could read Too Many Tamales and then everyone could make a Tamale

(if your cafeteria would be willing to cook them for you).

You could read El Cucey(sp?)/ The Bogeyman, or Adelita and

compare/contrast them to other ethnic fairytales.

You could have students each find a recipe from their cultural heritage

and make class cookbooks (multicultural)

You could try to get the students to name as many famous Hispanics as

they can and then have your own list

Feature a Hispanic Author each week--Pat Mora, Amada Perez, etc.

You could introduce the Pura Belpre award and use that somehow--this

months reading list, or something like that...

I'm sorry you haven't

received

many responses to your request but very few people actually celebrate

Mexico's Independence Day besides people in El Paso.  I have personally

never heard of anyone celebrating it except for El Paso.  It is another

country's holiday - we don't celebrate any other country's independence

day and I'm quite sure Mexico doesn't celebrate the 4th of July!  We

have

a huge Sudanese population here as well as Mexican, Central American,

Hmong, etc.  We respect their cultures and do encourage studies of

other

cultures but we do not celebrate holidays from those respective

countries.

 I would think that at least some places do promote Hispanic Heritage

Month although it's not widely known about since it actually covers

part

of Sept. and part of Oct.  Some of our schools in south Omaha are

90-95%

Hispanic and I'm pretty sure they have activities for Hispanic Heritage

Month so, if I hear of anything they are doing, I will pass them on to

you.  Maybe you could try to find a good Hispanic author/poet to come

in

and speak to the kids (Pat Mora grew up in El Paso but I don't know how

much she charges for author visits).  I once had Estella Casas come in

and

talk to my class about their heritage when I lived in El Paso and she

was

SO good with the kids.  Good luck!

Have you tried searching many of

the

teacher lesson plan sites on the Internet for activities? Does your

state

have a union catalog that you could use to search for books? Do you

subscribe, or can you go to a university or other library and access

professional journals such as School Library Journal or LMC magazine?

If you

can afford it, I would recommend a subscription to Library Sparks. As

far as

I am concerned, it has the best ideas specifically for library classes.

The

Mailbox series of magazines are also another excellent source. Have you

checked the archives? Lots of good info there, even if it is not

exactly

what you are looking for you can sometimes tweak them to suit your

situation.

When we are pressed for time it is easier to post requests for lesson

plans

on the list, but when you don't get responses you need to have other

avenues

to select from. Sorry that I can't help with this particular request as

we

do not observe Hispanic Heritage Month or Mexico's Independence Day at

my

school.

I read Radioman which is a bilingual book. I talked about why we have

bilingual books in the library, where they are located.  I even had one

of my Spanish speaking students help me with the Spanish words that

were included in the English text.  Maybe you could try a bilingual

book?

Also try this link to a Mexico Independence Day lesson plan for grades

3-5.  You can adapt it to fit your needs.

http://teacherlink.ed.usu.edu/tlresources/units/Byrnes-celebrations/

mid.html

Try this one with several lesson plan ideas on Mexico

http://members.aol.com/MrDonnHistory/K12west.html#MEXICO

Try this lesson plan for the Kindergarten crowd.  It has fun stuff like

counting in Spanish, Festival AMask, Children of the World,

http://fga.freac.fsu.edu/academy/k1mexico.htm

Try this one for El Grito which is the Independence Day name.

http://fga.freac.fsu.edu/academy/k1mexico.htm#activity5

Adapting any of these to meet your needs should make your lesson a

success!!  Good luck!

Hi, I love to use Pat Mora's books, The Rainbow Tulip and Tomas and the

Library lady, and a beautiful book called Amelia's Road ( I'm home and

can't

remember the author).

Go to www.librarysparks.com and poke around. Look at Web Resources and Curriculum
Connections.

One thing that comes to mind would be daily P.A. announcements during the month (or
at least the week of Sep. 16th) where you teach the whole school a Spanish word or
phrase that has something to do with heritage. (I studied German for 5 years so I
don't have any *precise* words for you, but they should be battle cries, or last
words of a Mexican hero, or Spanish words for "hero," "culture," "tradition," etc.).

The August/September Library Sparks magazine featured Hispanic Heritage

Month activities. It is a good magazine if you can get your hands on

it. Not

cheap though.

Cindy Lund Moreno, Elementary Librarian
Loretto Academy Elementary