Thank you to everyone who sent me ideas to use for the Big6!  I got some =
great ideas to use.  I started this week teaching the Big6 to my 5th =
graders and I will probably be starting soon with my 4th graders.

Thanks again to everyone who sent me ideas.

Missy Small
Media Coordinator
Kinston, NC
msmall@lenoir.k12.nc.us

I taught the big 6 steps to sixth graders last week using a great =
interactive adventure that I found on the Big6 website.  The kids are =
enlisted to help the Zongonis fend off a menacing monster to save their
intergalactic library by finding a magic book.  They have to earn 6 =
badges, one for each of the steps to "win" the game.  I gave them a =
handout with the steps listed that they could take notes on and refer to
later when they started their project.  It went over quite well.  The kids =
loved it.  I had a 42 min period and it took much of it.  It may seem like =
it's too passive of an activity to do for an observation, but as the =
narrator I kept it lively.  & the steps are reiterated so many times that =
it really gets into their heads.  Plus, the kids get to make some choices
along the way and that invites some good discussion.  I would sugegst that =
you work through the adventure first so you'll know how to time your =
presentation and where to embellish. You'll need a computer & projector.=20=

Good luck! =20
http://www.ri.net/RILINK/lbimages/intro.html
http://www.big6rap.com/

I'm in a middle school now, but when I was in an elementary, my favorite =
way to introduce Big 6 was to make a Big 6 Trail Mix.  I wear a chef hat =
and apron, and have a big mixing bowl in front of me.  I start
by asking if anyone has ever had success (or failure!) following a recipe, =
we do a think-pair-share thing to talk about that.  I go on to make an =
analogy between following a recipe to cook something, and following The =
Big 6 to do research right.  Then as I introduce each element, I pour an =
ingredient into the bowl.  I usually have Cheerios, mini pretzels, =
chocolate chips, that sort of thing, up to 6 ingredients. If you have lots =
of time you can even have students pour the
ingredients.  When you're done, you have their attention completely, as =
they are wondering if they are going to eat the Trail Mix.  This takes a
while, at least 30 minutes but better when you have 40-60, so they don't =
actually start any research until the next day.  Hope there are some ideas =
here you might use!

I use a basketball game with the teacher as coach (evaluator) and lms as =
referee (check effectiveness; part of the process for a project but not =
long
term).  It works well as you use the individual and the team in different =
parts of the process.
Have you checked the Big6 website?  There are lots of activities that you =
can use there.

http://www.big6.com
I am also just beginning with Big6. I did an introductory lesson explaining=
 each of the steps, then we solved a problem, starting with the premise: =
I=20
want to go to the movie on Sat. We tackled each phase of choosing and =
getting to and from the movie with Big6. I think the kids got the message, =
but I am=20
wondering now how to follow up, besides with their classroom projects. =
Please share any ideas you get. I find the Big6 web site very interesting, =
too.
I made a huge ice cream sundae, including the dish.  Then I cut Velcro =
pieces for each of the six parts of the sundae (Big 6)i.e  The dish is the =
idea=20
 1st layer of ice-cream - what sources can I use
 2nd layer of ice cream - where can I find the sources, etc. etc.
   Till the last layer is the spoon - which is the evaluation.

It's very visual, and the kids get the meaning.. . . especially the =
significance of evaluation.
=20

hi.....check archives...type Big 6 and  Big 6 lessons ...see what yu get.
If you have access to a computer and LCD projector (and access to a =
computer lab or mobile lap-top lab--even better!), check out this website:
http://www.ri.net/RILINK/lbimages/intro.html  It's an interactive site =
specifically for 4th-5th grade students that takes them on a trip to the =
fictional planet of "Zongony" to introduce them to the Big 6 skills.  As =
they work on "badges" for each of the 6 steps, they are caught up in a =
mission to stop a monster from overrunning the planet.  You will certainly =
have the students attention (always good for an observation!), you'll be =
using technology, and you will definitely NOT finish using the website in =
one lesson, so you'll have your lessons planned for another couple weeks, =
which is ALWAYS a good thing!
Here's an article in the Big 6 Newsletter about how I teach it:  http://big=
6.org/showarticle.php?id=3D372
There's a link at the very bottom that will take you to all the resources =
I use.  Works for me!