I am currently an MLS graduate student but I hope to
be in a media center by next year.  I have become
aware that some elementary schools place restrictions
on what their students have access to.  For instance,
my daughter's school (no AR program) limits children's
access by grade level.  K-1 may only check out picture
books and easy readers.  Midway through second grade,
students may begin checking out transitional readers
(i.e Magic Tree House).  Once they are in 3rd grade,
students have access to all materials in the media
center.  I have heard that other schools limit by AR
reading level.  I find this to be very limiting
especially for children who read above grade level.
Do most elementary schools have limited access to
materials based on the child's grade level or reading
level?  It seems that this violates the ALA's Freedom
to Read policy but maybe it's not practical to allow
full access in an elementary school library.  I would
love to hear your opinions on this and any ideas on
the best ways to handle limiting access to materials.

Thanks.

Jennifer Yow
East Carolina University Graduate Student
Wake Forest, NC

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail