School libraries are different from public libraries - we are both
librarians and teachers that puts a slightly different slant on things.  The
teachers (who under our state mandated testing system) are responsible to
raising the reading scores want their students checking out books they can
read and comprehend.  Kids, being kids don't always do what their teachers
want them to do!

All the students are my school can check out at least 2 books - one must be
a "a book to help you be a better reader" - I call those "meat" books, the
other is a "book for fun" - those are "popcorn" books, because one popcorn
is fun eat. I tell them their brain is like their bodies - it won't grow
into a "reading" brain if all they eat is popcorn - it needs "meat too, just
like their bodies do.

The teachers are happy and so are the kinder and first graders who can then
check out their beloved dinosaur and shark books.  Most of the students at
my school check out 4 books at a time, some check out more.

Age doesn't seem to have much to do with wether or not a child looses books
- that seems to be more a factor of home life and the child's on personality
& attitude toward school.

Guusje Moore
Librarian, Housman Elementary
Spring Branch ISD