Rather than stressing 'what not to do' I focused on 'ways to take notes'. If every
note is cited, with quotes around sentence length
copy pastes or transcriptions, then the writing process pretty much takes care of
'researcher's plague'. And errant copying can be
traced back through notes for teacher to determine whether copying happened and if
it were intentional or just a part of learning
not happening.

Now at middle school, we do touch on IP issues. But I still push notetaking
(including copy/paste in computer and hilite the xerox)
with kids and plag-proofing the assignment with CL teacher.

Robert Eiffert, Librarian
Pacific Middle School, Vancouver WA
Pac.egreen.wednet.edu/library
Beiffert at egreen wednet edu