original request:

I've heard that "The Week" is a good news magazine for older students.

Does anyone have this periodical in their library ?  If so, would you

recommend it for a middle school ?  I have tried, to no avail, to get a

copy from the public library.  Would love to see one, but will be happy

to order or not based on responses from listserv.

I also asked the listserv that question a few months ago but pertaining to high
school...I only got positive responses.  You can view the issues online at
www.theweekmagaizne.com

I subscribe now and I love it for high school...I am not a middle school teacher so
I am not sure if it will have the same appeal or interest level-especially for
younger students.

I haven’t ordered it for my library but may next year. It’s an interesting
publication—a sort of digest from other news sources along with book,
entertainment, and interesting feature articles. I think it would be a good
addition to a HS collection.

We just started getting "The Week” and it is full of short, easy to

read articles on everything from world news to entertainment. It is good for

high school, not sure about a middle school. You can get 4 weeks free.  I

don’t have a single copy handy to get a phone number but the address is   The

Week.  P.O. Box 421214  Palm Coast Florida 32142-7681

The Week is available at many newsstands.  I have subscribed to it for my high
school library and sophisticated high school students interested in news read it.
My subscription is through EBSCO.  I don't think it's appropriate for middle school
unless your students are very interested in national and international news.

I highly recommend it. I think it would be great at the middle school

level.

NOTE: a special thanks to the librarians who sent me a copy to preview.  Based on
student response and my preview of "The Week" we will not be adding it to our
middle school library at this time.

Diane

Diane Lungaro, librarian
dianelu@yahoo.com
Sussex Middle School
Sussex-Wantage Regional Schools District
Sussex, NJ 07461

http://mail.yahoo.com