We use a sign in system for the library.  Students who have a study hall can sign
in fifteen minutes before school starts or fifteen minutes after school for the
following day.  You must tell us what you will be working on and for what teacher.
Then we send attendance sheets to the assistant principals at the end of the day
with all the students and what block they were here and they can compare that to
the study hall cut list.  It sounds more complicated than it is.

This way we know how many kids to expect and if we have more than one class coming
down for research we just close to study hall students.

And we are open to all for lunch (not to eat, of course) which I loathe because we
are packed.  But it is the only opportunity for students who are taking a full
course load.

With the sign in system we don't get students coming down because their friends are
not in study or because they are bored.  They have to plan ahead.  And study hall
teachers are not allowed to send students down.  Teachers can send selected
students from class (if they finish work early or need to do research) but they
only come down temporarily and have to sit at "the big table" which is right in
front of the circ desk and if they goof off they are sent beck.

Barb Fecteau, LMS

Beverly High School Library

Beverly, MA

bfecteau@beverlyschools.org