Dear LM-Net-ers

Many thanks to all who responded and I apologize to those I didn't respond
to personally.  There were many approaches to both questions-here are some
of them:

1.      Policies on students in the library after school

Students are not allowed in the Library after school unless accompanied by
the Librarian or a teacher. My hours officially end at 2:00 p.m. (The school
day ends at 1:40) I am on the same contract as our teachers.

___________________________

Our students get out of school at 3:35. On Mondays, the library is open
until 6:00 p.m. for students to work. Tues., Wed., and Thurs. we close at
4:30. On Fri., we close at 3:45. We have done this on our own--yes, I am not
working alone. That is a distinct advantage. Our administration has always
let us set our own hours. We often are here until 5 or later if we have the
time and the students need the time. When I first came to this school, we
closed every day at 4:00. We had many more students with crises when
assignments were due. Now that they can come in later, we don't have as much
of that.

_______________________________

The library is open until 4:15 on Mondays, and until 3:30 T-F. All are
welcome.

___________________________

This is a mirror of my situation.  Our library hours are 7:30 - 5:00 with a
staff of 1.5 serving 650 students in the middle and upper school daily.  We
also "baby-sit" after school (my terms) between the hours of 3:30 - 5:00 for
the lower school students who are not placed by their parents in the after
school child care program---why pay, when you can send your kids to the MS /
US Library for free and the librarian can watch them run up and down the
stairs all afternoon until you arrive to pick them up at 5:00 (if even at
that time).  In the meantime, we also get about 30 students in the afternoon
from the MS / US who hang out until their ride comes--most leave around 4:30
but several hang out and just play games on the computers until then. (We
have a no-games AUP, but that isn't enforced...so I'm tired of policing it.)

There are no activities that can be planned for students in the library
after school primarily because of the limited staff--- you can't watch lower
school students who play on the staircases while you direct an organized
program, watch the circulation desk, keep kids from getting rowdy at the
computers (as they play games that they aren't allowed to play, but do), and
keep kids from going behind the circulation desk to use the telephone
without your permission (often calling friends to talk). Based upon the
activities that happen each day, it's impossible to know who might be there
and what emergencies / assignments are due for those who truly need help.

It's a circus atmosphere at times because the students think this is a "hang
out" and most of the adults have left the campus after 4:00 p.m.  There are
very few teachers in the buildings and the administration building is locked
(the closest bathroom available to the library is in another building--the
administration building--which requires the librarians to leave the library
to go there....so you don't want to leave the library after 3:30 to visit
the bathroom while you have students in the library!)

____________________________

As an administrator I can tell you that you can not be paid twice for

the same time frame.  If you're contracted to work until 5 pm, then any

activity during that time is covered by your librarian contract.  It's

a legal issue.

We bus most of our students so the libraries are not concerned with

having to stay open late.  We do pay someone (an aide) to keep our HS

library open late and during this time we are open to anyone, including

community members.  We do this through a special arrangement with our

local Community and they pay some of the costs.

Those who do activities after school hours (after teacher's contract

time) do have extra duty contracts.

____________________________

Our 7-9 library is open for an hour after the last class period ends as long
as there is a staff member present, either the clerical helper or the
librarian (me). Our students use the computer labs in the same area with the
same stipulations. Students sign in and out and are not permitted to roam
the halls. This is easy in our case because the "academic" wing of the
building is locked 15 minutes after the end of the last period and are not
permitted back in if they leave.

____________________________

I am paid to remain in the library after school each day for up to three
hours as

necessary. I submit monthly hours and am paid at the rate of $37. per hour.
Our teacher's contract states that my regular salary is for 6 hours and 50
minutes per

day. That means that anything later than  2:50 pm is extra hours for which I
am paid. It is important, in my opinion, for the library to be open after
school for kids who need to

do school work. However, you should be paid. Also I made it clear to the

adminnistration that I will keep the library open as long as kids are
working. I will not

remain here only to babysit. As soon as I see that students are no longer
working I

shoo them out, lock up, and go home.

____________________________________

We have 1 library, 2 librarians and 1 aid for 1000+ students/faculty.  The
library is open after school for elementary students until 3:30 when I go
home, and 5:00 for the high school (when the aid goes home.  She is paid
hourly for after school time).  There a couple of after school hour
functions that are required -  no extra compensation - and they are spelled
out in  our contracts.  I have the same contract as the regular classroom
teachers.

____________________________________

2.       Agreements between the school and teacher on sponsoring after
school activities)

Teachers teach after school activities, for which they receive $30/hour. I,
along with 4 other teachers, recently started a school newspaper. We meet in
a classroom and move into the Library with the 40 students who are
participating.

_________________________________

Most of our teacher/sponsors receive stipends for their time. Some even have
an extra conference period during the day to work on those activities.
However, many of our teachers work with groups on their own time without pay
just because they feel the desire to do so.

_______________________________________

Our position is different because the contract day ends only a few minutes
after the last bus loads. We have a multitude of after school activities and
tutoring, carried out by paid people both employees of this school and
others.

Mutual agreement. Right now, for example, the students want to form a

political discussion group of some sort. About a dozen or so have signed

up, and the office has asked if anyone is interested in sponsoring it.

There is no stipend as such, but time spent on activities outside of

contracted time counts on career ladder. Since it is an added duty without
any additional pay, I wouldn't bother,

especially since it would interfere with your other duties. Since you

are contracted to be the librarian until 5:00 (!) you shouldn't be asked

to do something else during that time. Now if the book club met in the

library during the time you are to have it open for anyone to use that

would be a different story. Since you are meeting in a classroom it

sounds like you are leaving the library either unattended or closed.

Either way, it is defeating the purpose of paying you to have the

library open until 5:00.

_____________________________________

We have club sponsors for activities after school but the teachers are on an
8:30 - 3:30 contract.  Anything after 3:30 is a negotiable contract salary.
I'm not aware of the amount that is paid for specific duties because I have
not been involved in anything outside of the library.

I was asked by a group of high school girls last year if I would be their
dance coach (I taught cheer / dance for 8 years in the public schools).  I
asked the administration if I could do this (so that I could be involved
with the students in an activity that was not "library-related" and become
involved in other areas of the school), but I was discouraged from doing
this---not once but four times.  Finally, the girls decided to go ahead with
their dance team without me---it was disappointing.

It is written in our contracts that we "may" run a club of our choice after
school as long as it is open to all age groups in our school. We are paid
$300 per club. I meet with each my two clubs (Digital Photography & Book)
once a week one semester only. I do not have obligations to other students
during the clubs and if my clerical staff is not available (rarely), the IMC
is open only for individual research and check out during club time. I also
video tape the choir and band concerts in the evenings and am paid $27.55 an
hour. Usually I end up with about 4 hours total time per set of concerts. I
used to tape the concerts instead of attending open house and conferences,
but because I spent so much more time doing the concerts, I just refused to
do it. Amazingly, the principal found the money to pay me an hourly wage. I
hate to encourage you to be hard nosed, but at some point, you need to just
work to the contract unless there is some real give and take. I am on the
teachers' contract which might make a difference in your case.

______________________________________

In our district, we do receive stipends for school-sponsored activities
outside the school day:  sports coaching, language clubs, etc.  When I do
short-term things, like evening hours for the Book Fair or a parent reading
night, I don't get extra pay, and neither do the classroom

teachers who do similar projects.   Of course, these activites are

voluntary; I'm not being told by the administration that I must do them.

______________________________________

We also have elem teachers who supervise an after

school program and I know they are paid hourly but

don't know when the time actually kicks in.

______________________________________

Our district has a policy called "Extra pay for extra duty". I sponsor an
after school club for a weekly live news broadcast and I get paid an extra
stipend for this activity. My contract does not state that I stay any longer
than a classroom teacher is expected to stay - and that is 20 minutes before
and after the morning and afternoon bell, respectively. The club meets until
5:00 p.m., school lets out at 3:40.

Thanks again for all of the helpful emails,

Jennifer England

Librarian

Heritage Hall

Oklahoma City, OK