For people as old as me, Charles Whitman came  immediately to mind. The book
is available through Amazon (and elsewhere, I'm  sure).
Lavergne, Gary M., A Sniper in the Tower: The True Story of the  Texas Tower
Massacre. Bantam, 1997.
Amazon.com
A true crime classic, Gary M.  Lavergne's book gives the most complete
analysis of the man who climbed the  tower at the University of Texas in 1966 and
shot 45 people, besides killing his  wife and mother the night before. Also
revealed is the shocking information  about Whitman's family life; he was not the
all-American young man gone suddenly  insane as he was depicted in the media.
Instead, the dark secrets of his  relationship with his father and his
father's own violence is woven into this  account of calculated evil. This book has
been hailed by experts as an excellent  depiction of a case that defined mass
murder, the largest mass murder in U.S.  history at that time.

Steve  Patnode
Grades 7-12 SLMS
Chazy Central Rural School
Chazy, NY  12921